A Note to the Host
“Like other group “viewing parties,” the Oscars are about gathering friends around a big screen TV, and watching the show. Whether you’re throwing a black-tie event or creating a "jeans and jewels" studded evening, the keys to an elegant Oscar party include activities that make guests feel like they’re part of the show, décor that’s red carpet worthy, and a menu that’s easy to enjoy whether you’re sitting on the couch or standing around the counter.”
- A buffet of finger food and small bites is ideal. Guests like to nibble throughout the evening.
- If there’s limited seating capacity, you definitely want to serve food that doesn’t require utensils or a seated table.
- Get the party started with cocktails. Then serve elegant hors d’oeuvres for an Oscar Party to remember.
- Lighten your load by assigning guests something to bring from TheBrownLounge.com’s Oscar Party Menu here.
Red Carpet Worthy Decor
- Decorate with gold stars and glitter – of course! Create a red carpet entrance using remnant fabric from your local fabric store, or simply use a red table runner.
- Create your own version of “The Hollywood Walk of Fame” by printing out photos of the nominated stars and titles of nominated films. Then mount them in the middle of gold star cut outs. You can place them on the wall, floor, or serving tables. You can even put your friends’ photos in stars for a personal touch.
- If you have time and budget for statue replicas, red night rope, red curtain back drops and more, visit OrientalTrading.com or Shindigz.com.
- Pull out your champagne glasses, or purchase plastic flutes. Provide sturdy paper plates with black, gold or red borders.
- Decorate with balloons and paper streamers in black, white, and gold.
- If you’re short on time or budget, just focus on decorating your serving table. Pick up some gold glitter and stars and sprinkle them on a white tablecloth.
- Tune into Pandora’s “Film Scores” station to add theatrical music to rooms without a television set.
- Make everyone feel like a super star from the moment they arrive by taking their “red carpet photo.“ After the party, post the photos in an Oscar Party album on Facebook for friends to see and share.
- Give guests a chance to vote for the big winners. Print out voting forms from Oscars.org so everyone can cast their vote for best picture, best director, leading actress, and other favorite categories. Make sure the winners get their own award. You can even cut out an image of Oscar printed on gold paper and mount it on cardboard for fun, or come up with silly prizes that are fun and funky.
- Everyone will feel like a celeb when they take home a Swag bag. You can find stylish and inexpensive party bags and stuffers at your local drug store. You can even include some homemade or store bought candies.
Kir and Kir Royale
The first Kir Royale I ever tasted was in a lovely French Bistro in Paris. I don’t really like sweet drinks, so I was hesitant at first. I was delighted to discover that the perfect Kir is a crisp, refreshing, aperitif. Creme de Cassis gives it a light blackcurrant sweetness. For those who prefer more sweetness, a sugar cube can be added.
Dirty Martini Recipe Vodka
Whether you like a classic Bond martini or a dirty martini recipe. Vodka is the start to an elegant and sophisticated cocktail!
Manhattan Drink Recipe
A classic manhattan drink recipe is sure to please your cocktail crowd.
Steak & Potato Bites with Gorgonzola Cream
If you love Steak and Potatoes, this is the perfect starter for you. Serve as an appetizer, hors d’oeuvres, or tapa course.
Raw Oysters on the Half Shell
Raw Oysters on the Half Shell are a taste treat. Serve with Champagne or a Dry Martini for an elegant party starter!
Spicy Shrimp Skewers With Cool Cucumber Dip | T...
A sumptuous shrimp recipe is perfect for a dinner party appetizer or potluck. Discover how Cool Cucumber Dip tames the spice in these Spicy Shrimp Skewers!
Feta Cheese Pops
Move over cake pops, these are savory with a bit of spicy kick!
Champagne, fresh herbs, and spices make these prawns so good you’ll want to eat the sauce with a spoon!
Smoked Salmon Recipes | Salmon Sliders
Salmon Sliders are one of our best Smoked Salmon recipes. Packed with cucumber, crème fraîche, & capers, these take Sliders to a whole new level!
Bacon Wrapped Dates
Dates can be substituted with figs when fresh in season. Both are great for a rich sweet and salt flavor.
Baked Asparagus Recipes | Prosciutto Wrapped In...
This easy and elegant appetizer melts in your mouth with asparagus, prosciutto, garlic, parmesan, and pastry in every bite! One of the best baked asparagus recipes.
Cheese Puffs Stuffed with Prosciutto!
Also known as Gougères, or Pâte à Choux, these savory cheese puffs can be frozen (unstuffed) in a plastic bag and reheated at 425 degrees for 5 minutes
Asian Lettuce Cups
Asian Lettuce Cups are a sweet and spicy appetizer, served in tender lettuce leaves. No utensils required!
Bacon & Potato Bites
Bacon & Potato Bites have everything you love about baked potatoes, with all the fixings, but in bite sized portions. A guaranteed party hit!
Seasoned Artichokes – An Elegant Appetizer
Artichokes are a favorite in our house. They can be served warm or at room temperature, as a side or a shared appetizer.
Endive with Raspberries, Mint & Mascarpone
This appetizer is simple and pretty. Place endive in concentric circles and it looks like a Spring flower!
Almond Toffee Candy | Fall Dessert Recipes
Fall dessert recipes, like this easy almond toffee candy, are so delicious you’ll want to double the batch to have enough to eat and share!
Easy Creme Brulee Recipe | Your Quick How To Guide
Creating a perfectly caramelized top for crème brûlée is quick and simple if you follow this easy crème brûlée recipe! Read on for more serving options.
Strawberry Dessert Recipe with Puffed Pastry an...
Strawberry dessert recipes are delicious additions to special occasions. This beautiful strawberry dessert recipe includes puffed pastry and Nutella hazelnut spread.