A Word From The Cook
“This tasty salad can be made with roasted or pre-packaged beets. Try different nuts and cheese each time you serve it. It's one of our most popular vegetable salad recipes. ”
- 4-6 Cups fresh Arugula
- 1 Ripe avocado
- 1/4 Cup Toasted walnuts or blanched almonds
- 4 Medium fresh or "Ready-to-eat" beets
- 1/2 Cup Goat or Gorgonzola cheese
- 1/8 Cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 Tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Teaspoon Herbs de Provence or your favorite dried herb mixture.
- Step 1 – Prepare Beets
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Scrub beets and chop off stalks and rough bottoms.
- Drizzle olive oil over beets and place them in a “foil tent.”
- Bake tented beets on a cookie sheet for up to an hour depending on number and size of beets (4 medium sized beets will take about 45 minutes to an hour).
- Place nuts in a shallow pan and roast in same oven for 10 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Beets are done when gentle prick of a fork goes smoothly through to the middle.
- When cool enough to handle, remove skins from beets. (Red beets may stain your hands and cutting surface).
- Ready-to-eat beets can also be used in this salad.
- Slice beets into ¼ inch rounds.
- Step 2 – Assemble Salad
- In a large salad bowl combine arugula, avocado, nuts, and beets.
- Step 3 – Toss and Serve
- Moments before you serve, toss salad ingredients with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and herbs.
- Plate and top with cheese.