A Word From The Cook
“Arugula pesto is peppery and goes great with lots of fresh lemon zest. It will stay fresh for several days refrigerated in a tightly sealed container!”
- 1 Package (17oz.) spaghetti
- 36-42 Fresh or previously frozen prawns (use fewer for large prawns)
- 1 Package fresh arugula (approx 5 cups)
- 3-4 Fresh lemons (to make zest)
- 4 Fresh, peeled garlic cloves
- 1½ Cups of freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- ½ Cup of olive oil for pesto, plus 2 tablespoons oil and 1 tablespoon butter for prawn sauté
- ¼ Cup white wine
- 4 Tablespoons fresh chopped chives
- Salt, pepper, Italian seasoning or Herbs de Provence – to taste
Step 1 – Prepare Pesto
Put fresh arugula and garlic in a food processor fitted with a metal blade.
“Pulse” a couple of times, then turn “on” while you pour the olive oil into the arugula/garlic until mixture turns a golden green. The mixture should look like a thick sauce.
Remove arugula/garlic mixture from processor and put it into a mixing bowl.
Mix in the cheese and spices. Then set pesto aside while you prepare pasta and prawns (add more or less herbs, spices and cheese to taste).
Step 2 – Boil Pasta and Sauté Prawns
Boil pasta for 10 minutes or until al dente (fully cooked, but not overly soft).
Drain water from pasta and return pasta to the pot – toss with a bit of olive oil and set aside while you sauté the prawns.
In a large sauté pan bring two tablespoons of olive oil, one tablespoon butter, and two fresh/peeled/chopped cloves of garlic to a sizzle over medium heat.
Add prawns to oil, season with salt, pepper, and herbs.Cook prawns until pink on one side, then turn prawns. Add splash of white wine, and half of chives.
Continue to cook until prawns are completely pink. Don’t overcook!
Step 3 – Plate Dish and Serve!
Combine pesto with warm pasta – pasta should be completely covered in pesto sauce.
Put a generous portion of pesto pasta into middle of each plate.
Top with 7-8 medium sized prawns (fewer if prawns are large).
Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of lemon zest, and pinch of chives over top of each serving.
Serve immediately and enjoy!