A Word From The Cook
“Arugula pesto is peppery and goes great with lots of fresh lemon zest. It will stay fresh for several days refrigerated in a tightly sealed container!”
- 1 Package (17oz.) spaghetti
- 36-42 Fresh or previously frozen prawns (use fewer for large prawns)
- 1 Package fresh arugula (approx 5 cups)
- 3-4 Fresh lemons (to make zest)
- 4 Fresh, peeled garlic cloves
- 1½ Cups of freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- ½ Cup of olive oil for pesto, plus 2 tablespoons oil and 1 tablespoon butter for prawn sauté
- ¼ Cup white wine
- 4 Tablespoons fresh chopped chives
- Salt, pepper, Italian seasoning or Herbs de Provence – to taste
- Step 1 – Prepare Pesto
- Put fresh arugula and garlic in a food processor fitted with a metal blade.
- “Pulse” a couple of times, then turn “on” while you pour the olive oil into the arugula/garlic until mixture turns a golden green. The mixture should look like a thick sauce.
- Remove arugula/garlic mixture from processor and put it into a mixing bowl.
- Mix in the cheese and spices. Then set pesto aside while you prepare pasta and prawns (add more or less herbs, spices and cheese to taste).
- Step 2 – Boil Pasta and Sauté Prawns
- Boil pasta for 10 minutes or until al dente (fully cooked, but not overly soft).
- Drain water from pasta and return pasta to the pot – toss with a bit of olive oil and set aside while you sauté the prawns.
- In a large sauté pan bring two tablespoons of olive oil, one tablespoon butter, and two fresh/peeled/chopped cloves of garlic to a sizzle over medium heat.
- Add prawns to oil, season with salt, pepper, and herbs.Cook prawns until pink on one side, then turn prawns. Add splash of white wine, and half of chives.
- Continue to cook until prawns are completely pink. Don’t overcook!
- Step 3 – Plate Dish and Serve!
- Combine pesto with warm pasta – pasta should be completely covered in pesto sauce.
- Put a generous portion of pesto pasta into middle of each plate.
- Top with 7-8 medium sized prawns (fewer if prawns are large).
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of lemon zest, and pinch of chives over top of each serving.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!