A Word From The Cook
“Asian Lettuce Cups are a sweet and spicy appetizer, served in tender lettuce leaves. No utensils required!”
- 16 Butter or Bibb Lettuce Leaves
- 1 1/2 Pounds lean ground beef or ground pork
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil for pan
- 1/2 Yellow onion
- 2 Finely minced fresh garlic cloves
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Asian chile sauce (e.g. Sriracha)
- 1/3 Cup Hoisin Sauce
- 2 Teaspoons sesame oil
- 6 Green onions finely chopped
- 1 Can sliced water chestnuts
- 2 Tablespoons pickled ginger
- Handful finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 Cup unsalted, chopped, roasted cashews or peanuts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Find more Asian-Fusion recipes in our Terrific Tiki Party menu
Step 1 – Prepare Meat Mixture
Brown meat in a large skillet over medium heat with vegetable oil.
Once browned, remove meat from pan, and pour out excess drippings. Leave 1 tablespoon drippings in pan and sauté onion in pan, stirring frequently until just soft. Add garlic and continue to cook 2 more minutes.
Add soy sauce, rice vinegar, hoisin sauce, chile sauce, sesame oil, chopped green onions, and chopped chestnuts.
Add meat back to pan, heat through and salt and pepper to taste.
Remove from heat.
Step 2 – Rinse and Separate Lettuce Leaves
Rinse and pat dry lettuce leaves. Separate them into individual vessels to hold the meat mixture.
Step 3 – Assemble and Serve
Place lettuce cups on serving plate.
Fill cups with meat mixture.
Garnish with chopped cilantro, pickled ginger and nuts.
Optional: For a little extra heat, top with a drop of Sriracha.
Serve and Enjoy!