A Word From The Cook
“Fennel is a traditional Italian ingredient. This dish is simple and rich with herbs, cheese, and notes of anise. Start a romantic dinner with this alternative to a grilled vegetables recipe. ”
Each Large Fennel Bulb Serves 2
- 3 Large fennel bulbs to serve six
- 2-3 Teaspoons Kosher or herbed salt
- 2-3 Teaspoons pepper
- 3-4 Tablespoons Italian seasoning
- ½ Cup Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1/8 Cup olive oil
- Step 1 – Slice and Arrange Fennel on Baking Sheet
- Cut long ends of stems and rough bottom off of fennel bulb.
- Slice fennel bulb into ¼ inch thick rounds and place each slice on foil covered baking sheet.
- Cook’s note: Slice from top of bulb to bottom to retain shape of bulb.
- Step 2 – Brush Fennel with Olive oil and Season
- Brush both sides of fennel with olive oil.
- Sprinkle top side of each fennel slice with pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Top each with a teaspoon of cheese.
- Sprinkle each with a pinch of Italian seasoning.
- Step 3 – Bake, Broil and Serve with Prosecco Rose
- Bake in Preheated oven at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
- When fennel is tender to the touch of a fork, broil for a minute.
- Fennel is done and ready to serve when cheese begins to brown.
- Serve immediately on individual plates (3-4 slices per person).