A Word From The Cook
“Baked Ziti is a savory one-pot dish that everyone loves. We use fusilli pasta and ground lamb for a tasty twist on this Italian classic.”
- 1 Pound ground lamb
- 1 Pound bround Beef
- 1 Pound Fusilli or Ziti pasta
- 3 Cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 Onion
- 2 Cups (16 ounces) grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 Teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 Teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 Teaspoons black pepper
- 2 Teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 Teaspoon oregano
- 1 Teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 Cup red cooking wine
- 1/2 Cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano
- Step 1 – Prepare the Sauce
- Cook lamb and beef until lightly browned in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add finely chopped onion and continue to cook until onion begins to turn transluscent.
- Add seasonings and crushed tomatoes to meat mixture and cook over medium heat until simmering.
- Add wine, reduce to simmer and continue to cook covered for 20-25 minutes.
- Step 2 – Boil Pasta and Grate the Mozzarella
- Boil pasta in salted water for 5-6 minutes, until cooked, but with a slight chew.
- Drain pasta, return to pan, drizzle lightly with olive oil, and toss. This keeps pasta from sticking.
- Grate the mozzarella using a box grater. Or, freeze cheese for 10 minutes, cut into 4-6 sections, and pulse in the food processor until shredded.
- Step 3 – Layer, Bake, and Serve
- Layer ingredients in a deep casserole dish, starting with pasta, then adding meat sauce, then cheese. Repeat layers 3 times.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove from heat when cheese is browned and meat sauce is steaming hot.
- Remove pan from oven and let the dish rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Top plated dish with freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano.