A Word From The Cook
“Looking for a sausage and potatoes recipe? Bangers & Mash is classic British country cooking. We always serve it with sweet green peas!”
- 8 British Bangers (sausages)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chopped Thyme, plus some for garnish
- 1/2 Cup butter (1/4 cup for onion gravy and 1/4 cup for potatoes)
- 8 Medium Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 1/2 Cup whipping cream or half & half
- 1/8 Cup sour cream
- 1/8 Cup stoneground mustard
- 2 Tablespoons horseradish
- 2 Large onions
- 1 1/2 Cups chicken broth
- 1/2 Cup white wine
- Salt, pepper, and garlic powder to season onions and potatoes
- One bag frozen sweet peas
- Step 1 – Cook Sausage
- Par cook the bangers by placing them in a shallow pan of boiling water. Sausages should be immersed in the water. Once placed in water, turn the heat off and let the sausages par book for about 7 minutes.
- Remove sausages from pan and pat dry.
- Cook sausages in a large sauté pan with a teaspoon or so of olive oil over medium low heat for 20-25 minutes, until cooked through (165 degree internal temperature).
- While sausages are cooking begin Step 2.
- When sausages are fully cooked remove them from the pan. You’ll use the same pan to make the onion gravy.
- Step 2 – Prepare Potatoes and Begin Onion Gravy
- Wash potatoes well and remove any blemishes.
- Cut potatoes into wedges leaving skin on.
- Place potato wedges in pot of boiling water with a pinch of salt and boil until tender enough to mash (20-25 minutes).
- Remove onion skin and slice onions in half. Cut each half in 1/8 inch slices.
- Sauté onions in sausage drippings along with 1/4 cup butter, and a generous shake each of salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Cook over medium to medium high heat until onions are slightly browned to slightly blackened and caramelized.
- Add fresh thyme.
- Add wine and stir for a minute or two.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Place sausages into onion gravy until heated through.
- Step 3 – Mash Potatoes and Serve
- Mash potatoes with butter, milk, sour cream, mustard, horseradish, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat peas according to package directions.
- Plate potatoes and sausages on serving plate and cover in onion gravy.
- Serve peas on the side and garnish with fresh thyme.