A Word From The Cook
“Fresh berries from the Sunday market, and leaf cut-outs for the top crust make this pie a real beauty! It's one of our favorite easy recipes for dessert!”
2 1/2 hours
- For Pie Crust:
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour + extra for dusting
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ cup (one stick) ice-cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ½ cup ice-cold shortening cut into Tablespoon size pieces
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon dark corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon frozen orange juice
- For Pie Filling:
- 5 cups fresh (or frozen) Blackberries (rinsed and patted dry)
- ½ cup sugar (if berries are tart add another 1/8-1/4 cup)
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice + zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Milk and sugar to brush on top of crust right before baking
- Step 1 – Prepare Pie Crust
- Combine flour, salt and sugar in food processor fitted with metal blade.
- Add butter and shortening and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add sour cream, corn syrup and orange juice.
- Process for a few seconds, until a ball of dough begins to form – don’t over process.
- Pull dough together into a ball, wrap well in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes to overnight.
- Divide dough in half and shape each half into a round disk (one for bottom crust, one for top crust).
- Lightly flour the counter and roll first disk evenly, and big enough so that dough will cover bottom and sides of pie plate with some hangover around the edges.
- Fold dough over rolling pin and unroll into pie plate.
- Gently fold overhang to create a nice edge, crimping dough between forefingers as you go around.
- Roll out second half to the same size as the first, using your favorite shape cut outs, use up all remaining dough and place cut outs on a cookie sheet.
- Return dough in pie plate and cut outs to the refrigerator to stay cool while you prepare fruit filling.
- Step 2 – Prepare Fruit Filling
- Combine 4 cups blackberries with flour and sugar.
- Mix well until all traces of dry ingredients have disappeared – berries will be a shade of pinkish purple.
- Spoon berry mixture into pie shell and spread remaining cup of blackberries on top.
- Squeeze lemon juice and lemon zest on top of berries.
- Dot berries with butter before adding top crust cut-outs.
- Step 3 – Assemble Top Crust and Bake!
- Cover berries with top crust leaf cut outs, working from outer layer to the inside.
- Begin by crimping each leaf’s end to the bottom layer edge.
- Add pastry leaves, one by one, working all the way around and then into the middle.
- Each leaf should slightly overlap/connect with next.
- Berries should show through gaps.
- Brush top crust with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven at 425 degrees for 15 minutes (to set crust).
- Reduce temp to 375 degrees for 25-35 more minutes until crust is golden brown and berries are bubbling.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream!