A Word From The Cook
“Cajun Spice Mix adds zip to a classic mexi-favorite Taco Salad. Bring it to a potluck, serve as a side salad, or main dish!”
Serves 4-6 (depending on serving size)
- 2 Tablespoons Cajun Spice Mix (get our recipe for Cajun Spice mix and use it on this recipe, as a rub or accent on fish, meat, soups, etc.)
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- ¾ Pound ground beef
- 1 Can corn
- 1 Can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- ½ Bunch romaine lettuce (chopped)
- 1/2 Cup green onions (chopped)
- 1/4 Cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 3 Roma or Plum tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 Cup avocado (diced peeled)
- 1 Cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 Cups corn tortilla chips, plus some to garnish the plated dish (Get gluten-free chips if you're following a gluten-free diet)
- 1/2 Cup sour cream
- 1 Lime, sliced for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1 – Prepare Spice Mix & Chop Vegetables
- Combine spices from our Cajun Spice Mix Recipe.
- Chop lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro, green onions, and avocado.
- Grate cheese using a box grater.
- Set aside while you work on Step 2.
- Step 2 – Warm Beans, and Corn, & Cook Meat
- Rinse black beans and warm in a small saucepan.
- Rinse corn and warm in a small saucepan.
- Heat medium pan to medium high heat and coat with oil.
- Add meat to the pan and sprinkle the meat with 2 tablespoons of Cajun Spice Mix.
- Break up the meat with a wooden spoon and cook until all the meat is browned.
- Step 3 – Assemble & Serve
- Layer the taco salad starting with the chips on the bottom.
- Add ingredients in this order on top of the chips: Meat, beans, corn, lettuce, green onions, tomatoes, cheese, avocado, cilantro, and dollop top with sour cream.
- Serve with chips and salsa or Tabasco.
- Garnish plates with cilantro and lime.