A Word From The Cook
“This hearty one pot dish is perfect for a potluck or family meal. It’s full of protein and fiber – and it’s gluten-free!”
1 hour and 45 minutes
- 2-4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Cloves minced garlic
- 2 finely chopped green bell peppers
- 1 Finely chopped red onion
- 1 Cup finely chopped celery
- 2 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts or 3-4 thighs, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 Cup uncooked long-grain brown or white rice
- 2 1/2 Cups chicken broth
- 1/2 Cup thinly sliced green onions
- ½ Cup canned or frozen corn
- 2 Teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 (15-ounce) Can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tablespoons cilantro
- 2 Limes cut into wedges for garnish
- Optional - 1/2 Cup sour cream for garnish. Use a heaping dollop on top of each serving.
- (Spices below can be substituted with 2 Tablespoons of our Cajun Spice Mix)
- If not using Cajun Spice Mix, add:
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 Teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 Teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 Teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 Teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ Teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, optional
Step 1 – Sauté Vegetables
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add bell pepper, red onion, and celery to pan; cook 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Add more oil if needed so ingredients don’t stick.
Step 2 – Cook Chicken & Combine Ingredients
Add chicken and garlic; cook 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in rice; cook 30 seconds. Add broth, Cajun spices, corn, green onions, fresh thyme, and beans; bring to a simmer.
Step 3 – Cover, and Bake
Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
Plate and Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.
Serve and enjoy!