A Word From The Cook
“Mint is the standout ingredient in this famous salad from Canlis Restaurant in Seattle – you can’t use too much of it!”
- For Salad:
- 1 large head romaine hearts
- ½ cup green onions
- 1 ¼ cups Romano cheese, freshly grated (reserve ½ cup for garnish)
- ½ cup bacon
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, thinly sliced
- ½ cup fresh mint, thinly sliced
- ½ cup croutons
- 8-12 cherry tomatoes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- For Dressing:
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 coddled egg
- ¼ teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Step 1 – Prepare Salad Ingredients
- Cook bacon until crispy, drain and slice thinly.
- Cut romaine hearts into 1 inch pieces.
- Thinly slice green onions.
- Grate Romano cheese.
- Slice mint and oregano thinly.
- Slice cherry tomatoes in half.
- Step 2 – Make Dressing
- Coddle the egg to purify the outer egg shell.
- Coddling also makes it easier to separate the yolk from the white.
- To coddle the egg, boil water and remove from heat.
- Steep egg in simmering water for 1 minute and remove.
- Then crack egg and add immediately to ingredients below.
- To make dressing, put the oil, lemon juice, coddled egg, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl and whisk vigorously.
- Step 3 – Toss and Serve!
- In a large salad bowl, add romaine, green onions, ¾ cup of the cheese, bacon, oregano, and mint.
- Pour desired amount of dressing into the salad and toss thoroughly. Divide salad onto plates, top each with croutons, sprinkle remaining cheese, and add sliced tomatoes.
- Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.