A Word From The Cook
“If working with dried mushrooms, reconstitute them in warm water. When soft, drain and combine with fresh mushrooms.”
15-20 individual servings depending on size of toasts
- For Rustic Toasts:
- 1 baguette or other rustic bread
- ¼ cup butter + 1 minced garlic clove + 2 tablespoons fresh, chopped Italian parsley
- For Mushroom Sauté and top of Toasts:
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ pound sliced crimini mushrooms
- ¼ pound sliced chanterelle mushrooms
- ¼ pound sliced porcini, morel or other
- 2-3 chopped fresh garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup fresh, chopped Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Splash red wine
- ½ cup parmesan shreds
- Step 1 – Turn Rustic Bread into Garlic Toasts
- Slice baguette
- Melt butter, garlic, and parsley over the stove or in the microwave.
- Baste bread slices with melted butter mixture.
- Toast bread slices by spreading them out on a cookie sheet, and baking at 400 degrees until lightly browned around edges (approx. 8 minutes) then broil for 30-60 seconds.
- Step 2 – Sauté Mushrooms
- In a skillet over low heat, sauté mushrooms in olive oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until mushrooms are golden.
- Add the wine and cook another minute.
- Add parsley, thyme, salt pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Cook until mushrooms are soft and juicy.
- Step 3 – Top Toasts and Serve!
- Place a mound of mushrooms on top of each toast.
- Add a pinch of chopped Italian parsley on top of mushrooms.
- Top with parmesan cheese.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.