A Word From The Cook
“If you like artichoke dip, you’ll love this alternative featuring Cauliflower, Fennel, Pancetta, Gorgonzola, Goat Cheese, and Parmigiano-Reggiano!”
Serves 6-8 People
- 1 Cup diced pancetta or bacon
- 1 Head cauliflower (white, or mixed colors). We used white and purple cauliflower in our recipe and photos.
- 1 Fresh fennel bulb - (base and upper stalks removed, sliced thinly)
- 2 Cloves fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup chèvre (goat cheese)
- 1/2 Cup gorgonzola cheese
- 1 Cup grated parmigiano-reggiano (reserve 3 tablespoons for topping)
- 1/2 Cup sour cream
- 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tablespoons breadcrumbs or Panko for topping (Do not use breadcrumbs for gluten-free version)
- Step 1 – Cook Pancetta and Boil Cauliflower
- In a large skillet, cook pancetta over medium heat until lightly browned. Remove pancetta from pan.
- Set pan with drippings aside for Step 2.
- Break cauliflower pieces apart from stem and cook chunks in boiling salted water until just soft. Drain the water.
- Step 2 – Pan Fry Vegetables
- Reheat pan with pancetta drippings to medium heat and sauté cauliflower with sliced fennel until lightly browned – about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Step 3 – Mix Together with Cheese and Bake
- In a large bowl, combine ingredients. Mix gently to avoid making cauliflower mushy.
- Transfer mixture to a baking dish and top with 3 tablespoons each breadcrumbs and Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 15 minutes or so until topping is golden brown.
- Serve with crackers, crudites, or rustic bread.