A Word From The Cook
“If you like artichoke dip, you’ll love this alternative featuring Cauliflower, Fennel, Pancetta, Gorgonzola, Goat Cheese, and Parmigiano-Reggiano!”
Serves 6-8 People
- 1 Cup diced pancetta or bacon
- 1 Head cauliflower (white, or mixed colors). We used white and purple cauliflower in our recipe and photos.
- 1 Fresh fennel bulb - (base and upper stalks removed, sliced thinly)
- 2 Cloves fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup chèvre (goat cheese)
- 1/2 Cup gorgonzola cheese
- 1 Cup grated parmigiano-reggiano (reserve 3 tablespoons for topping)
- 1/2 Cup sour cream
- 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tablespoons breadcrumbs or Panko for topping (Do not use breadcrumbs for gluten-free version)
Step 1 – Cook Pancetta and Boil Cauliflower
In a large skillet, cook pancetta over medium heat until lightly browned. Remove pancetta from pan.
Set pan with drippings aside for Step 2.
Break cauliflower pieces apart from stem and cook chunks in boiling salted water until just soft. Drain the water.
Step 2 – Pan Fry Vegetables
Reheat pan with pancetta drippings to medium heat and sauté cauliflower with sliced fennel until lightly browned – about 5 minutes.
Add garlic and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes.
Step 3 – Mix Together with Cheese and Bake
In a large bowl, combine ingredients. Mix gently to avoid making cauliflower mushy.
Transfer mixture to a baking dish and top with 3 tablespoons each breadcrumbs and Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 15 minutes or so until topping is golden brown.
Serve with crackers, crudites, or rustic bread.