A Word From The Cook
“Serve with black beans and greens. Garnish with cilantro and Cotija cheese. These enchiladas are a crowd pleaser!”
- 4 Boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 1 Cup each shredded Sharp Cheddar and Pepper Jack
- 1/4 Package Cotija cheese
- 1 Package of 10-12 medium sized corn tortillas
- 1/4 Medium white or yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 1 Bunch fresh cilantro (roughly chopped)
- 3-5 Tablespoons diced green chilies (canned)
- a 10 oz. Can chile verde enchilada sauce
- a 6 oz.can Herdes brand Chile Verde Salsa
- 3 Bay leaves plus 5-7 pepper corns
- 1 Teaspoon black pepper, plus 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon garlic powder
- Bake in 2 large glass baking dishes at 350 degrees (to serve 3-4 simply halve the recipe and use one baking dish)
- Step 1 – Boil and Shred Chicken
- Bring large saucepan of water, bay leaves and peppercorns to a rolling boil.
- Add chicken to boiling water and cook over medium heat 10-15 minutes (depending on thickness of meat) – until meat is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from water, ensure bay leaves and peppercorns are removed.
- Put cooked chicken in a large mixing bowl and shred by pulling it apart using two forks pulling against each other.
- Step 2 – Make Enchilada Filling
- Once chicken is shredded, spice and toss it well with salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, and chipotle powder.
- Add diced green chilies, diced onion, and ¾ of the chopped cilantro (save ¼ cilantro to sprinkle on top when plating/serving cooked enchiladas).
- Incorporate 1 ½ cups shredded cheese, plus ½ cup of Cotija into meat mixture and combine (save balance of shredded cheese to put on top of enchiladas before baking).
- Step 3 – Roll and Bake!
- Soften corn tortillas before filling and rolling them by sliding them into and quickly out of a shallow saucepan of sizzling water.
- Once tortilla is softened, fill with chicken mixture, roll and place enchilada at far end of 9×12 baking dish. Repeat until filling is used up. Place each roll against the previous one, fitting 6-8 enchiladas in the pan. A second baking dish will be required if you are making the dish for 6-8 and using the measurements above.
- Cover enchiladas with approx. ½ can of Herdes Salsa Verde (spicy) plus ½ can of Verde Enchilada sauce (mild). Enchiladas should be covered, but not “soaked” in sauce (otherwise they will be too gooey).
- Sprinkle remaining shredded cheese over top and bake for 20-25 minutes in hot, 350 degree oven until cheese is melted and meat inside is piping hot.
- Serve and enjoy!