A Word From The Cook
“Serve with black beans and greens. Garnish with cilantro and Cotija cheese. These enchiladas are a crowd pleaser!”
- 4 Boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 1 Cup each shredded Sharp Cheddar and Pepper Jack
- 1/4 Package Cotija cheese
- 1 Package of 10-12 medium sized corn tortillas
- 1/4 Medium white or yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 1 Bunch fresh cilantro (roughly chopped)
- 3-5 Tablespoons diced green chilies (canned)
- a 10 oz. Can chile verde enchilada sauce
- a 6 oz.can Herdes brand Chile Verde Salsa
- 3 Bay leaves plus 5-7 pepper corns
- 1 Teaspoon black pepper, plus 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon garlic powder
- Bake in 2 large glass baking dishes at 350 degrees (to serve 3-4 simply halve the recipe and use one baking dish)
Step 1 – Boil and Shred Chicken
Bring large saucepan of water, bay leaves and peppercorns to a rolling boil.
Add chicken to boiling water and cook over medium heat 10-15 minutes (depending on thickness of meat) – until meat is cooked through.
Remove chicken from water, ensure bay leaves and peppercorns are removed.
Put cooked chicken in a large mixing bowl and shred by pulling it apart using two forks pulling against each other.
Step 2 – Make Enchilada Filling
Once chicken is shredded, spice and toss it well with salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, and chipotle powder.
Add diced green chilies, diced onion, and ¾ of the chopped cilantro (save ¼ cilantro to sprinkle on top when plating/serving cooked enchiladas).
Incorporate 1 ½ cups shredded cheese, plus ½ cup of Cotija into meat mixture and combine (save balance of shredded cheese to put on top of enchiladas before baking).
Step 3 – Roll and Bake!
Soften corn tortillas before filling and rolling them by sliding them into and quickly out of a shallow saucepan of sizzling water.
Once tortilla is softened, fill with chicken mixture, roll and place enchilada at far end of 9×12 baking dish. Repeat until filling is used up. Place each roll against the previous one, fitting 6-8 enchiladas in the pan. A second baking dish will be required if you are making the dish for 6-8 and using the measurements above.
Cover enchiladas with approx. ½ can of Herdes Salsa Verde (spicy) plus ½ can of Verde Enchilada sauce (mild). Enchiladas should be covered, but not “soaked” in sauce (otherwise they will be too gooey).
Sprinkle remaining shredded cheese over top and bake for 20-25 minutes in hot, 350 degree oven until cheese is melted and meat inside is piping hot.
Serve and enjoy!