A Word From The Cook
“Chicken Pot Pie is the ultimate crowd pleasing comfort food!”
1.5 HoursIf making your own crust, add an hour.
- For Pie Crust
- 1 1/4 Cups flour
- 1/2 Cup butter
- 1/3 Cup sour cream
- If don't feel like making crust from scratch, use ready-made packaged pie crust that you can unroll.
- For Chicken Filling
- 4 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 Bay leaves
- 5 Peppercorns
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Diced onion
- 3 Celery stalks, diced
- 3 Medium carrots, diced
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 Teaspoon dried thyme or 2 Teaspoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2-3 Tablespoons flour (to thicken)
- 1 Small package frozen peas
- 2 1/2 Cups chicken stock
- Step 1 – Prepare Crust
- Directions are for a homemade crust, but you can use a prepared crust if you prefer.
- Combine flour and butter in food processor. Pulse until crumbs form. Add sour cream and process until dough forms a ball.
- Wrap dough in plastic and chill for a couple hours.
- (Crust may be made up to 3 days in advance)
- Step 2 – Boil Chicken and Prepare Filling
- Boil Chicken:
- Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts into boiling water with a pinch of salt, two bay leaves and 5 pepper corns.
- Cook for approximately 20 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink on the inside. (To test, pull a piece out of the water and cut into it through to the thickest area. Chicken should not look pink or “rare” in the middle.)
- Once cooked, remove chicken from water, let cool, remove bay leaves and peppercorns.
- Reserve 2 1/2 cups cooking liquid or use chicken stock.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- Make Filling:
- In a large saucepan, sauté butter, onions and celery over medium heat until softened (about 10 mins.).
- Sprinkle flour, salt, pepper, and dried seasonings over sauté and cook for about 5 minutes to create a roux.
- Slowly pour heated liquid or chicken stock into center of the saucepan, stirring constantly until a thick gravy develops – another 5-8 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces, peas, sliced carrots, fresh thyme and combine. Taste to ensure spicing is right before assembly.
- Step 3 – Assemble in a 9-Inch Deep Dish and Bake
- Spoon chicken filling into a 9-inch deep dish pie or casserole dish.
- Roll out pie dough on a lightly floured surface to a 10 inch diameter.
- Note: If desired, use a small leaf cookie cutter to cut out decorative “air-holes” in the crust before placing dough over the chicken mixture. Place the leaf shapes onto top of pie crust, adjacent to the cut outs. Otherwise, simply pierce a few times with a fork in the middle of the pie crust.
- Cover chicken filling with pie crust, crimping pie dough around the edges.
- Place on a cookie sheet and bake in preheated 350 degree oven, for 45 minutes, until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling.
- Let the pot pie rest for about 10 minutes before serving.