A Word From The Cook
“Salt and sweet is always a good thing for dessert. You'll love this ice cream filled twist on taco shell filling. Don't let those extra shells go to waste after taco night...dip 'em in chocolate, sprinkle with nuts and turn taco night into Chocolate and Ice Cream Taco night!”
10 Minutes to melt chocolate
60 minutes (includes 30 minutes cooling time)
- 1 Package of Small Corn Taco Shells (12 count)
- 1 Cup chopped nuts (dry roasted peanuts are shown above)
- 8 Ounces Premium Chocolate (milk or dark)
- 1 Quart Ice Cream (Vanilla bean or choose your favorite flavor)
- Note: Chocolate tacos can be served as soon as they're filled with ice cream, or they can be frozen, covered tightly for 2-3 days. Dipped shells can also be frozen un-filled for up to a week.
- Step 1 – Melt Chocolate and Chop Peanuts
- Fill the bottom of a double boiler with water. Water line should not hit the insert pan. Bring water to a simmer over medium heat. Cover simmering water with the saucepan insert. Break chocolate into evenly sized squares and place into top of a double boiler. Let chocolate melt slowly until smooth, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- Note: chocolate should not come into contact with steam or water when melting.
- (If you don't have a double boiler, simply use a medium sized sauce pan filled half way with water. Cover simmering water with a glass or stainless steel bowl. Place chocolate in the bowl on top to melt over the heat of the simmering water in the pan below.)
- Chop nuts finely, but don't turn them into dust. Nuts should be biig enough to provide a nice crunch, but not so big that they fall off the chocolate when cooling.
- Step 2 – Cover Taco Shells in Chocolate
- Using the back of a spoon or an offset spatula, spread melted chocolate over both outside halves of a taco shell (as shown). Spread additional chocolate on the inside of the shell.
- Sprinkle nuts over warm chocolate on the outside of the shell.
- Place taco shells upside down on a foil-lined baking sheet to cool and set.
- Repeat for all taco shells.
- Step 3 – Stuff Taco Shells and Serve
- When chocolate is completely set, fill taco shells with your favorite ice cream.
- Serve immediately, or freeze for up to 2 days.
- Note that ice cream will soften the shell once it's frozen. For best crunch serve immediately and enjoy!