A Word From The Cook
“A chocolate stout recipe that gives you a moist and decadent cake! Give in to this delicious indulgence!”
- 1 Cup stout beer(such as Guinness)
- 1 Cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 Cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Cups all purpose flour
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 Cup brown sugar
- 1.5 Teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 2 Large eggs
- 3/4 Sour cream
- 1 Cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon flaked salt
- Frost with Whisky Caramel Sauce
- Ingredients for Whiskey Caramel Sauce
- 3 Cups sugar
- 1 Cup water
- 1 1/3 Cup heavy cream
- 1/2 Cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 Cup whiskey
- Garnish cake with freshly whipped cream or ice cream
- Find Caramel Sauce Recipe Here
- Step 1 – Prepare Cake Pans and Cook the Beer
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter two 8-inch round cake pans with 2-inch-high sides. Line with parchment paper. Butter paper.
- Bring stout and butter to simmer in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add cocoa powder and whisk until mixture is smooth. Cool slightly.
- Step 2 – Combine Ingredients and Bake
- Whisk flour, sugars, baking soda, and salt in large bowl to blend.
- Using electric mixer, beat eggs and sour cream in another large bowl to blend.
- Add stout-chocolate mixture and vanilla to egg mixture and beat just to combine.
- Add flour in batches to mixture and beat until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake cakes until tester inserted into center of cakes comes out clean, about 25-3o minutes.
- Transfer cakes to rack and cool in pans.
- When cool, turn out cakes onto rack
- Step 3 – Prepare Caramel Sauce and Frost
- Prepare Whiskey Caramel Sauce according to recipe directions and allow to cool until spreadable (not dripping). You can place caramel in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes to speed cooling.
- When cakes are completely cool place one cake layer, flat side up on cake plate.
- Spread whiskey caramel sauce on top.
- Place second cake layer on top, flat side down, and pour whiskey caramel sauce onto top middle of cake, spreading outward to allow sauce to gently drip down the sides.
- Lightly sprinkle salt flakes on top of cake. Serve with freshly whipped cream topped with Whiskey Caramel Sauce.