A Word From The Cook
“Peanut butter lovers will flip for this sandwich cookie. It's one of our favorite peanut butter dessert recipes.”
45 Minutes for Cookies, plus 1 Hour for Dulce de Leche
Makes 20 Sandwich Cookies
- Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe
- 1-1/2 Cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 Tsp baking soda
- 1/3 Cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1/2 Cup packed brown sugar
- 1 Large egg
- 1 Cup peanut butter, smooth or crunchy
- 1/2 Tsp vanilla
- For the Dulce de Leche
- 1 Can condensed milk
- Step 1 – Combine Ingredients
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Whisk the flour and baking soda together.
- In a large bowl, mix the unsalted butter and sugar until well blended. Beat in the egg, peanut butter and vanilla. Stir in the flour mixture until well blended.
- Step 2 – Shape and Bake Cookies
- Shape into 1-inch balls and arrange about 2 inches apart on cookie sheets. Press flat with a fork in one direction and then press again in the perpendicular direction to give a crisscross effect.
- Bake one sheet at a time, about 10 to 12 minutes. Let stand a couple of minutes on the baking sheet, then remove to a rack to cool.
- Step 3 – Prepare Dulce de Leche and Make Sandwiches
- In a double boiler (a homemade double boiler can be used), heat the condensed milk for about an hour while stirring it every so often. As the milk cooks it will get thicker and take on a darker caramel color. The dulce de leche will further thicken as it cools. If you prefer a very thick and more caramel-like dulce de leche, heat the condensed milk up to 90 minutes.
- Store the dulce de leche in an airtight container and refrigerate.
- Once the cookies have completely cooled, pair them up by size. Spread the flat side of one cookie from each pair with a tablespoon of the homemade dulce de leche and then top with the other cookie.