A Word From The Cook
“Seared scallops are the main feature of this dish. The addition of leeks, spinach, and cream over pasta make it a showstopper!”
- 12 Scallops (3-4 scallops per person)
- 1 Pound pasta
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8-10 Cups of loosely packed spinach
- 2 Medium leeks (halved, sliced cross-wise, rinsed and chopped as shown)
- Kosher salt and ground pepper
- 2 -3 Large garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/2 Cup dry white wine
- 1/3 Cup heavy cream
- 4 tTblespoons fresh ground Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Step 1 – Prepare the Sauce
- Melt 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in large saucepan over medium high heat. Add half the spinach and cook until just wilted, tossing for about two minutes. Set aside in a colander to drain, and cook rest of spinach.
- Discard remaining liquid from skillet and add 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the halved, chopped leeks with a pinch of salt and cook until softened but not brown (about 5 minutes).
- Add minced garlic and stir for another minute.
- Add the wine and raise temperature to medium high to reduce and thicken sauce as liquid evaporates. (about 2 minutes).
- Add cream and continue to cook for another two-three minutes until thickened (can coat the back of a spoon – and will stick nicely to pasta).
- Season with salt and pepper, fold in cheese and add the spinach back.
- Keep warm while you boil the pasta and sear the scallops.
- Step 2 – Boil Pasta and Sear Scallops
- Cover a large pot of water over high heat to start water boiling.
- Boil Pasta until ad dente – 8-10 minutes, drain and toss lightly with olive oil (keep warm while you prepare scallops).
- Pat scallops dry and remove muscle if attached.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan, until simmering hot.
- Season scallops with salt and pepper and gently place them in hot pan. Cook scallops undisturbed until browned on the bottom (for 2-3 minutes). Flip and continue to cook undisturbed, until they appear opaque in the center (about 2 minutes more).
- Step 3 – Assemble and Serve
- Bring sauce back up to medium low heat while scallops are finishing.
- Dish pasta onto middle of plate.
- Gently cover pasta with warmed sauce.
- Place 3-4 scallops on top.
- Sprinkle lightly with Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!