A Word From The Cook
“This Crispy Skin Salmon with Citrus Sauce is one of our easy salmon recipes from The Flying Fish restaurant in Seattle. Provided courtesy of the authors of Dining In Seattle Cookbook.”
- For the Salmon
- 1 Tablespoon ginger, grated or finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon scallions, finely chopped
- 3 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- ¼ Cup hoisin sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sambal (galic chili paste)
- 2 Tablespoons black vinegar (or balsamic)
- ¼ Cup chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
- 6 Six-ounce salmon fillets, skin on
- For the Citrus-Olive Oil Sauce
- ½ Cup orange juice
- ¼ Cup lemon juice
- ¼ Cup lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Cup extra virgin olive oil
- For Garnish
- Zest of one lemon and one lime
- Step 1 – Prepare Citrus Sauce
- In a small saucepan, combine orange, lemon, and lime juices with sugar and bring to a simmer.
- Stir often, until mixture reduces to syrup and is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Put the syrup into a blender (or use an immersion blender in pan) and add olive oil in a slow, steady stream while the blender is running.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Cook’s Note: The sauce must be used within 2 hours. If the temperature gets too cold the sauce will break.
- Step 2 – Glaze and Barbecue Salmon
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, sauté ginger, garlic, and scallions until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add rice vinegar, hoisin sauce, sambal, and black vinegar and bring to a simmer.
- Add chicken stock and return to a simmer before removing from heat.
- Let glaze cool and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Coat salmon with glaze and grill over a hot grill or charcoal fire, skin-side down, until crispy. Flip (optional) and continue to cook about 10-12 total minutes.
- Step 3 – Apply Citrus Sauce and Serve!
- Drizzle citrus sauce directly onto plate. (If necessary, give the Citrus Sauce a quick blend before plating)
- Place Crispy Skin Salmon onto plate, skin side down.
- Garnish with lemon and lime zest.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Note: We like to serve this dish with Jasmine Rice topped with chopped green onions and slivered almonds.