A Word From The Cook
“Pear dessert recipes are elegant and delicious! This Hazelnut and Pear Tart is lightly sweet with a crunchy texture from hazelnuts.”
- Tart Crust
- ¼ Cup ground toasted hazelnuts
- 1 ¼ Cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
- ½ Teaspoon salt
- 2 Teaspoons sugar
- 4 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ¼ Cup cold vegetable shortening
- 3 Tablespoons cold sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon ice water
- Pear and Hazelnut Tart Filling
- ½ Cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- ½ Cup sugar
- 1 Large egg
- 1 Large egg yolk
- 1 Tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- ½ Cup finely ground hazelnuts
- 1 Tablespoon all purpose flour
- 3 Firm, ripe pears (Bosc, Bartlett or Red)
- 2 Tablespoons brandy, B&B or Cognac
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons sugar
- Bake in a Tart Pan with Removable Bottom
- Step 1 – Toast Hazelnuts and Prepare Dough for Crusts
- Toast Hazelnuts:
- Toast 1 cup hazelnuts in the oven for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Rub skins off while warm (not all skin will come completely off).
- Grind them finely in food processor with metal blade.
- Make Crust:
- Combine ¼ cup nuts, flour, salt and sugar in food processor fitted with metal blade.
- Add butter and shortening and pulse into course meal.
- Add sour cream and then bits of water until a ball of dough begins to form – you may not need all the water.
- Turn out dough onto a flour dusted surface and mold into a 1 inch thick disk.
- Wrap disk in plastic and refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes or overnight.
- Step 2 – Form Crust in Tart Pan and Blind Bake
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out evenly in a circle that will cover the bottom and edges of your tart pan.
- Roll the dough around the rolling pin and lift it over the tart pan.
- Press dough into place in the tart pan and adjust any overhang or tears in the dough. Dough should be lightly pressed into the edges of the tart pan.
- Freeze tart shell in pan for at least 20 minutes (or up to one month).
- When ready to bake, line tart shell with foil and fill with dried beans, rice or pie weights.
- Blind bake for 20 minutes, then remove weights and foil and bake for another 5 minutes or so, or until crust is golden brown
- Cool crust on baking rack and reduce oven temp to 400 degrees.
- Step 3 – Prepare Filling, Assemble Tart and Bake
- Prepare Filling:
- Cream butter and sugar in food processor fitted with a metal blade, stop and scrape down as needed.
- Add eggs, heavy cream, and continue to blend thoroughly.
- Scatter ground nuts and flour over the butter mixture and process until blended.
- Refrigerate mixture while preparing the pears.
- Halve and core the pears, then cut length-wise in 1/9 inch slices, leaving skins on.
- Assemble Tart:
- Spread the filling evenly over bottom of tart.
- Arrange pears over the filling, starting from the outside edge, overlapping pears around and up into the middle in concentric circles.
- Brush pears with Brand, B&B or Cognac.
- Sprinkle 1 ½ tablespoons of sugar over the top.
- Bake in center of oven for about 45 minutes, or until pastry is brown and pears are caramelized.
- Cool on baking rack and then slip tart pan rim off, leaving bottom of pan to hold tart in place.
- Set tart on round serving plate and cut into wedges.
- Serve and enjoy!