A Word From The Cook
“Creating a perfectly caramelized top for crème brûlée is quick and simple if you follow this easy crème brûlée recipe! Read on for more serving options.”
1 hour to prepare and bake + 2 hours to cool
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar, plus 12 teaspoons to create caramelized sugar top
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract – or seeds of one vanilla bean
- Serve with fresh berries, or top with finely chopped crystalized ginger after you've caramelized the sugar on top.
- Step 1 – Combine Ingredients
- In large bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until sugar is dissolved and mixture is pale yellow (discard whites – or use in another recipe).
- Slowly add heavy cream and vanilla and continue to whip until mixture is pale yellow.
- Step 2 – Prepare Water Bath
- Pour mixture slowly through a sieve or skim off bubbles to eliminate foam.
- Pour the now smooth mixture into 6 ramekin cups filling ½ to ¾ full (depending on size of ramekin).
- Place washcloth sized cloth in bottom of a 9×12 pan (so ramekins don’t slip).
- Place ramekins into the pan, onto the cloth.
- Fill pan with water about ½ way up the sides of the ramekins.
- Step 3 – Bake, Cool, Torch and Garnish!
- Place pan in oven and bake at 300 degrees for 40-50 minutes.
- Crème brûlée is ready when its cooked around edges but slightly loose in the middle.
- Let cool in water bath.
- Remove from water bath and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
- Prior to serving, sprinkle 2 teaspoons of sugar evenly on top of each Crème brûlée and caramelize the sugar using a butane kitchen torch or place under the broiler – do not burn.
- Serve and enjoy!