A Word From The Cook
“Panna Cotta is the perfect no bake dessert that serves a crowd. Serve it in ramekins, martini glasses, or any 4-5 ounce vessel you can refrigerate. You can also turn custard out onto a dessert plate and top with your favorite, caramel, berries or chocolate.”
Six 4 ounce servings
- For Panna Cotta
- 1 Envelope Unflavored Gelatin (1 Tablespoon)
- 2 Tablespoons Cold Water
- 1 Quart Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla or seeds scraped from 1 Vanilla Bean
- A pinch of salt
- For Caramel - simply add 1/3 cup Cabernet or Zinfandel wine to our Caramel Sauce Recipe
- Step 1 – Prepare Custard
- Sprinkle gelatin over water and let stand until softened.
- In a large saucepan, bring cream, sugar, and salt to boil over moderately high heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in gelatin and vanilla. Stir until gelatin has completely dissolved.
- Place pan in an ice bath to cool the mixture before dividing.
- Divide mixture among 1/2 cup (4 ounce) serving dishes, ramekins, or cupcake holders.
- Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until firm (at least 4 hours or overnight).
- Use a spatula to turn out custard from cupcake pans onto small dessert plates.
- Step 2 – Prepare Caramel Sauce
- Prepare caramel sauce while Panna Cotta is chilling.
- Find Caramel Sauce Recipe Here
- Spoon caramel over chilled/firm Panna Cotta just before serving.