A Word From The Cook
“Roasted Young Chicken starts on the stove and is finished in the oven. We call it peasant food, but it’s Italian cuisine at its finest!”
- For the Chicken:
- 2 Young Chickens about 12 oz/ each (can also use game hens)
- ½-1 Cup of Chicken Broth
- 3 Teaspoons Garlic
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Rosemary (finely chopped)
- 2 Fresh Lemons
- 2 Tablespoons Parsley (chopped)
- 2 Med. Sized Carrots (sliced)
- 2 Stalks Celery (sliced)
- 1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Teaspoons Butter
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- For the Parmesan Bruschetta:
- 4 slices of French Bread
- 2 Fresh Garlic Cloves
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ Cup Parmesan Cheese (Finely Grated)
- If you're going gluten-free, skip the Parmesan Brushetta and serve with mashed potatoes or roasted red potatoes.
- Step 1 – Marinate Chicken or Game Hen
- Wash chickens in cold water (remove innards), scrub skin and pat dry.
- With a sharp chef’s knife, cut the chicken vertically, down the breast so it will lay flat in the pan when searing. Spine stays in tact. Cut away excess fat as well.
- Rub chickens with a generous amount of garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, and rosemary.
- Place each chicken in a zip lock bag, add the fresh lemon juice from 2 lemons, and put the rinds in the bag.
- Close the zip lock bag and massage the oil, lemon and spices into the chicken.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Step 2 – Sear and Bake
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Using cast iron skillet or heavy oven proof pan, set heat to medium high. Cover skillet generously with olive oil.
- Sear chicken breast side down for 8 minutes. Then flip it over and sear for another 5 minutes, or so, until golden brown.
- To the pan, add the carrots and celery, juices from the zip lock bag, the juice and rinds from 2 fresh lemons, and warm chicken broth.
- Bake for 20 minutes in hot oven, until vegetables are tender and chicken measures 165 degrees.
- While chicken is baking, prepare Parmesan Bruschetta. Simply rub the fresh peeled and cut end of a garlic clove directly onto both sides of sliced French bread. Then, dredge bread first in olive oil, then in parmesan. Bake in oven (uncovered) while chicken is cooking in oven – for about 10 minutes (until crisp and golden brown). Watch the video to see how we do it!
- If you’re going gluten-free, skip the bread and serve with mashed potatoes or roasted red potatoes!
- Step 3 – Prepare Reduction Sauce and Serve
- When chicken is cooked thoroughly, remove chickens from pan and set aside.
- Heat a medium sized sauté pan and coat with olive oil plus 1 teaspoon fresh chopped garlic.
- When garlic begins to sizzle, pour liquid and vegetables from roasting pan, into sauté pan. Add butter and reduce liquid over high heat by swirling saucepan in a circular motion over the burner until thickened.
- Place brushetta on serving platter, put chicken on top of bruschetta and drizzle reduction sauce and vegetables over the chicken.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!