A Word From The Cook
“This Fennel, Apple, & Mint Soup is light, bright, and delicious! Serve it with Cheesy Cheddar & Chive Biscuits for the perfect soup and biscuit starter!”
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Shallot, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 4 Green Granny Smith apples, skinned, cored and finely chopped
- 1 Large fennel bulb, cored, stalks removed, chopped into 1/2 inch chunks
- (Reserve chopped fennel fronds for garnish. Fronds are the aromatic grassy greens above the bulb)
- 3 Celery stalks, cleaned and chopped
- 1/2 Russet potato, peeled and chopped into 1-inch chunks
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 Teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 Cups chicken stock
- Fresh chopped herbs: 1 cup watercress, 1/4 cup mint, 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 Cup half & half (whipping cream can be substituted for a richer soup)
- Serve with Cheesy Cheddar & Chive Biscuits
Step 1 – Sauté Shallot and Garlic
In a large 8-10 quart saucepan, sauté the shallot and garlic in butter over medium heat until softened (3-4 minutes)
Step 2 – Cook Ingredients Until Tender
Add all ingredients to saucepan, except herbs, and half and half.
Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to a simmer. Continue to simmer for about 20 minutes until potatoes, fennel, and apples are tender and cooked enough to be puréed.
Step 3 – Purée and Serve
Remove from heat.
Add half or so of the herbs, reserving the rest for garnish.
Use an immersion blender to purée. You can also transfer soup to an upright blender to purée, although you'll need to do this in batches.
Once soup is smooth, add half & half and stir.
Serve in individual soup bowls or cups, and top with herbs and fronds.
Serve with Cheesy Cheddar & Chive Biscuits