A Word From The Cook
“Fragrant Fennel and Swiss Chard with Sausage over your favorite pasta…Deliziosa!”
Serves 4-6 people
- 1 Pound pasta (spaghetti or linguini)
- 1 Pound Italian Sausage
- 1/2 Cup chopped onion
- 1/2 Cup sliced fresh fennel
- 2 Large garlic cloves
- 1 Can diced tomatoes
- 3 Fresh roma or plum tomatoes chopped
- 1 Bunch swiss chard, stems discarded and leaves chopped
- 1/2 Cup whipping cream
- 1/4 Cup sliced basil leaves
- 1/4 Cup pine nuts
- 1/4 Cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- Step 1 – Brown Sausage, Fennel, and Onion
- Crumble and brown sausage in a large sauté pan over medium to medium high heat.
- Add chopped onions, garlic, and fennel and continue to cook until softened and sausage is cooked through.
- Stir frequently and continue to break sausage apart as you cook.
- Step 2 – Boil Pasta While you Finish the Sauté
- Boil pasta in salted water until al Dente – according to package instructions.
- While pasta cooks, add tomatoes and then swiss chard to sausage sauté, and continue to cook until greens begin to wilt.
- Add cream, and 1/4 cup pasta water to sauté. Continue to cook for 4-5 minutes more.
- Step 3 – Drain Pasta and Serve
- Drain pasta and toss with olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Place pasta in the middle of serving plates.
- Spoon Fennel, Kale, & Sausage sauté over pasta.
- Top with chopped basil, pine nuts, and freshly shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano.