A Word From The Cook
“Chocolate Torta Caprese is an Italian chocolate cake recipe that's naturally gluten-free because it's made with chocolate and almonds instead of flour. It's a decadent dessert.”
- 9 Ounces dark chocolate (higher quality chocolate will result in better cake)
- 1 Cup butter
- ¼ Cup cocoa powder
- 1 Tablespoon almond extract
- 1 ¼ Cup sugar
- 1 ½ Cups ground, blanched, toasted almonds
- 6 Large eggs (room temperature)
- 1/8 Cup powdered sugar (for top)
- Serve with freshly whipped cream
- Recipe requires a spring-form pan lined with parchment paper
- Step 1 – Prepare Almonds
- Toast blanched (skins removed) almonds on a foil lined baking sheet for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Let almonds cool.
- Grind almonds finely in a food processor with metal blade.
- Step 2 – Melt Chocolate and Combine Ingredients
- Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler.
- Using a standing mixer with whisk attachment, blend the melted chocolate mixture together with the cocoa powder, almond extract, and sugar until they are well combined.
- Add the ground almonds and whisk until combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Step 3 – Bake, Cool and Serve with Vinsanto!
- Pour the mixture into the parchment lined spring form pan.
- Bake in preheated oven at 325 degrees for 45-50 minutes.
- Test for doneness with a toothpick that comes out clean – do not overcook.
- Let cool completely before removing parchment.
- Transfer to serving dish and dust generously with powdered sugar.
- Serve with freshly whipped cream.