A Word From The Cook
“Fall dessert recipes like this one will make you fall in love with pumpkin. Fudge Bottom pumpkin pie is loaded with chocolate and has a spicy ginger graham crust.”
30-45 Minutes to Prepare Chill 6 hours or overnight
A small piece goes a long way, this is a rich pie! Serves 10-12
- For Crust
- 1/2 Cup toasted, chopped pecans
- 1 Cup cinnamon or plain graham cracker crumbs
- 1 Cup ginger snap cookie crumbs
- 1/2 Cup melted butter
- 1/2 Cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- For Fudge Bottom
- 1 Cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 Cup whipping cream
- Optional - 1/2 Chopped candy bars (Reeses, Heath Bar, Butterfinger)
- For Pumpkin Filling and Whipped Cream Topping
- 3/4 Cup sugar
- 1/3 Cup all purpose flour
- 2 Eggs
- 4 Egg yolks
- 2 Cups milk
- 1 Cup canned pumpkin
- 2 Teaspoons vanilla (or vanilla bean)
- 1 Cup whipping cream
- 1 Tablespoon powdered sugar
- Garnish with semi-sweet chocolate shavings
- Step 1 – Prepare Crust and Fudge Bottom
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toast pecans in a shallow pan for 8-10 minutes. Do not let burn.
- Let nuts cool, then chop.
- To turn graham crackers and ginger snaps into crumbs you can blend them in a food processor, or put them into a closed ziplock bag and crush them with a heavy spoon or meat tenderizer.
- Combine crumbs, chopped nuts, melted butter and chocolate chips in a medium sized bowl.
- Press mixture evenly over bottom and sides of a lightly greased 10 inch pie plate.
- Bake at 350 degrees until lightly browned, about 10-12 minutes. Let cool completely on wire rack.
- While crust is baking, prepare fudge filling. Microwave chocolate and whipping cream on high for one minute. Allow to sit for a minute, then stir until completely blended, and sauce looks like a fudge glaze. Let cool while crust cools.
- Spoon fudge mixture over bottom of crust, sprinkle with candy (optional).
- Cover and cool in refrigerator for about an hour, until set.
- Step 2 – Make the Pumpkin Filling
- In a medium sized sauce pan whisk together sugar and flour. Add eggs, yolk, and milk and whisk until blended.
- Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, whisking constantly until mixture creates small peaks when whisk is lifted from mixture.
- Remove from heat, add pumpkin and vanilla.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and chill for about an hour. (Plastic should go directly onto mixture to keep a film from forming.)
- Step 3 – Assemble, Chill, and Top
- Spoon chilled pumpkin mixture into fudge filled crust.
- Chill until filling is set (approximately 6 hours or overnight).
- Prior to serving, beat whipping cream and powdered sugar until hard peaks form.
- Top pumpkin mixture with whipped cream and garnish with chocolate shavings. (Use your grater or a sharp knife to create chocolate shavings).
- Enjoy this terrific pie!