A Word From The Cook
“German Apple Red Cabbage is a sweet salad that can be served hot or cold. This cabbage salad recipe was shared by Uli Lengenberg, Master Butcher at Uli's Famous Sausage.”
- 1 Medium red cabbage, sliced into 1/8 inch strips
- 4 Slices bacon, finely diced
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Medium onion, finely diced
- 1 Apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2-3 Bay-leaves
- 3-4 Whole cloves
- 1 Cup chicken broth
- 1/8 Cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 Cup red wine
- 1/3 Cup sugar
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- 1 Teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 Teaspoon cinnamon
- Optional: 1 Tablespoon potato starch
- Step 1 – Sauté Cabbage and Onions
- Melt butter in a big soup pot or Dutch oven, and cook bacon until crispy.
- Add the onions, and cook until lightly browned.
- Step 2 – Cook Ingredients for an Hour
- Add remaining ingredients (except for potato starch) and bring to boil. Check the taste and add seasoning if desired.
- Uli says the trick is to keep the red cabbage moist while cooking it, it should not float in liquid, but you need the liquid otherwise it might burn/stick to the bottom of the pot
- Cook over low heat, until the cabbage is tender, about an hour.
- Remove from heat.
- Optional: Mix the potato starch with a little water and add into the cabbage, to thicken it and give it a shiny appearance.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Serve as part of this complete German Party Food Menu