A Word From The Cook
“Chocolate Glaze & Coconut Pecan Filling turn this german chocolate cake recipe into an all time favorite. Perfect for entertaining or birthday celebrations.”
- For the Cake:
- 1 Package (4 oz.) Baker’s German Sweet Chocolate
- ½ Cup water
- 4 Eggs separated
- 2 Cups cake flour
- 1 Tsp. baking soda
- ¼ Teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup butter, softened
- 2 Cups sugar
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- ½ Cup sour cream
- 1 Cup buttermilk
- For the Coconut-Pecan Frosting
- 4 Egg yolks
- 1 Can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
- 1 ½ Teaspoon’s vanilla
- 1 ½ Cups sugar
- ¾ Cups butter
- 1 Pkg. (7oz.) coconut (approx. 2 ½ cups)
- 1 ½ Cups chopped pecans
- For the Chocolate Glaze
- 1 Cup heavy whipping cream
- 12 oz. Good quality bitter or semisweet chocolate
- Step 1 – Prepare the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two 9 inch cake pans with parchment paper and spray or butter to avoid sticking.
- Melt chocolate and water in microwave on high for approx. 1 minute to melt, then stir until completely melted.
- Beat egg whites in small bowl until stiff, set aside. Mix together flour, soda and salt, set aside. Beat butter and sugar until fluffy in large mixing bowl. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in chocolate and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk and sour cream, beating thoroughly after each addition.
- Fold in egg whites. Pour batter into prepared cake pans.
- Bake 30 minutes. Allow to cool 15 minutes in pans. Move to wire racks to cool completely.
- Optional: When completely cool, use cake slicer to cut each cake round in half to create 4 layers.
- Step 2 – Prepare Coconut-Pecan Frosting
- Whisk together egg yolks, milk, and vanilla in large saucepan until blended.
- Add sugar and butter and cook on medium heat approx. 12 minutes, until thickened and golden brown (stirring constantly).
- Remove from heat.
- Add coconut and pecans and mix well.
- Cool slightly before frosting.
- Step 3 – Prepare Glaze & Assemble Cake
- Bring whipping cream to a simmer in a small saucepan.
- Pour hot cream over chopped chocolate. Let chocolate melt for a minute, then stir to melt completely. Let cool slightly.
- Put one of the bottom cake layers on a serving dish (cut side up), and frost with ¼ of coconut-pecan mixture.
- Add next cake layer (use top of cut layer with cut side down). Frost top with ¼ coconut-pecan mixture. Repeat with next two cake and frosting layer, but save last ¼ of coconut-pecan frosting until the end.
- Pour chocolate glaze over top and sides of cake, making sure top is not too thick because you will add remaining coconut-pecan frosting on top at the end.
- Serve and Enjoy!