A Word From The Cook
“An ultimate must-try! This Egg Lemon Sauce recipe brightens Stuffed Grape Leaves and adds a twist to a classic Mediterranean Menu Dinner Partyfeaturing cookbook author/chef, Erin Coopey, aka the "Glorified Home Chef."”
1 hour (Dough rising time: overnight)
Makes 1 Cup
- 1 Cup hot chicken, fish or vegetable stock
- 3 Large whole eggs
- 1/4 Cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Step 1 – Whisk Eggs and Lemon Juice
- Whisk eggs in stainless bowl (that will set over simmering pot of water to create a double boiler) until pale and frothy. Whisk in lemon juice.
- Step 2 – Heat and Add Stock
- Bring stock to a boil and remove from heat 1 minute before using.
- Slowly whisk in hot stock or broth to temper (bring up temperature of) eggs. Place bowl over (not in) simmering water or pour back into saucepan that held broth. Simmer sauce over low heat. Whisk sauce until visibly creamy and thickened, 6 to 10 minutes, and remove from heat.
- Step 3 – Serve or Refrigerate Overnight
- Taste sauce and season with salt, if necessary. Use sauce immediately or keep warm for up to 30 minutes. Or, chill overnight and bring to room temperature or warm gently in double boiler over simmering heat.
- Use our sauce on Vegetarian Stuffed Grape Leaves too!
- Find more of our Mediterranean Menu Dinner Party recipes you can make and share with your friends!