A Word From The Cook
“Grilled Greek Eggplant Salad is simple, fresh, and bright. Eggplant turns vegetable salad recipes into the perfect addition to a Greek Inspired Menu.”
6-8 Salad or Appetizer Servings
- 3 Fresh eggplants
- 1 Green chile pepper
- 2 Red, yellow, or orange bell peppers (or 6 sweet mini peppers)
- 5 Roma tomatoes
- 3 Cloves garlic
- 3-5 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1-2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup roughly chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1 – Grill or Roast Eggplant and Bell Peppers
- Preheat oven or grill to 450 degrees.
- Wash eggplant.
- Slice off bottom and top of eggplant. Cut the eggplant into round slices 1/4 inch thick.
- Coat eggplant disks generously with olive oil, and lightly salt and pepper both sides.
- Place onto hot grill or onto a foil lined baking sheet and cook until soft, but not mushy.
- Follow same procedure with bell peppers. Be sure to wash, and remove white seeds and membrane from inside of the pepper, and cut into 1/2 inch wide slices.
- Turn multiple times during grilling or roasting to ensure even cooking.
- Remove from oven when softened, but still slightly firm (not mushy).
- Step 2 – Chop Vegetables
- While eggplant and peppers cook, chop garlic and green chile pepper finely.
- Clean and slice tomatoes into 1/8 inch disks.
- Roughly chop parsley.
- Step 3 – Layer, Season, and Serve
- In a medium bowl, layer eggplant, bell pepper, garlic, tomatoes, chile pepper, and parsley.
- Drizzle olive oil and balsamic.
- Add a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Toss gently with tongs to coat, and distribute garlic, chiles, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper evenly over vegetables.
- Serve on individual salad plates garnished with a bit more parsley.