A Word From The Cook
“Summer vegetables are deliciously grilled, and paired with couscous pearls (or quinoa for gluten-free enjoyment)!”
- For the Salad
- Extra-virgin olive oil to brush veggies prior to grilling
- Kosher salt
- Garlic powder
- 1 Yellow bell pepper
- 1 Red bell pepper
- 3 Small carrots, peeled and left whole
- 3 Medium zucchini, cleaned, trimmed, and cut lengthwise, into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 Small radicchio, core left in and cut lengthwise in quarters
- 1 Medium eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1 Small bunch scallions, trimmed
- For the Couscous
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
- 2 Cups raw couscous pearls (Israeli Couscous can be substituted, or Quinoa can be used for a gluten-free dish)
- Pinch black pepper
- For the Vinaigrette
- 1 Cup fresh herbs, finely chopped (basil, mint, chives, flat leaf parsley)
- 1/4 Cup Kalamata olives
- 2 Cloves fresh garlic
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice + zest
- 6 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 Teaspoon sea salt - to taste
- 1/2 Teaspoon course grind pepper - to taste
- Step 1 – Prepare the Vinaigrette
- Rinse, pat dry, and finely chop fresh herbs.
- Peel and grate garlic, using a fine grater or microplane grater.
- Chop olives.
- Whisk ingredients together.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Set aside while you grill the vegetables.
- Step 2 – Grill the Vegetables
- Brush the vegetables with olive oil. Sprinkle with garlic powder, and salt lightly. Lay as many vegetables as will fit on the grill, directly over the heat.
- Turn vegetables every few minutes until veggies are charred, yet tender. Zucchini, radicchio, and scallions cook fastest, eggplant takes a bit longer. Carrots and peppers will take the longest - up to 15 minutes.
- Let veggies cool, then chop coarsely.
- Step 3 – Make the Couscous and Combine
- Bring 2 Cups water, oil, and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Add the couscous, stir well, remove from heat, and let sit for 5 minutes.
- When couscous is done, fluff with a fork.
- Combine couscous and veggies in a large mixing bowl, and toss with vinaigrette.
- Season with salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lemon juice to taste.
- Serve warm, or at room temperature.
- Salad can be covered and refrigerated up to three days in advance.