A Word From The Cook
“Summer vegetables are deliciously grilled, and paired with couscous pearls (or quinoa for gluten-free enjoyment)!”
- For the Salad
- Extra-virgin olive oil to brush veggies prior to grilling
- Kosher salt
- Garlic powder
- 1 Yellow bell pepper
- 1 Red bell pepper
- 3 Small carrots, peeled and left whole
- 3 Medium zucchini, cleaned, trimmed, and cut lengthwise, into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 Small radicchio, core left in and cut lengthwise in quarters
- 1 Medium eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1 Small bunch scallions, trimmed
- For the Couscous
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
- 2 Cups raw couscous pearls (Israeli Couscous can be substituted, or Quinoa can be used for a gluten-free dish)
- Pinch black pepper
- For the Vinaigrette
- 1 Cup fresh herbs, finely chopped (basil, mint, chives, flat leaf parsley)
- 1/4 Cup Kalamata olives
- 2 Cloves fresh garlic
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice + zest
- 6 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 Teaspoon sea salt - to taste
- 1/2 Teaspoon course grind pepper - to taste
Step 1 – Prepare the Vinaigrette
Rinse, pat dry, and finely chop fresh herbs.
Peel and grate garlic, using a fine grater or microplane grater.
Whisk ingredients together.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Set aside while you grill the vegetables.
Step 2 – Grill the Vegetables
Brush the vegetables with olive oil. Sprinkle with garlic powder, and salt lightly. Lay as many vegetables as will fit on the grill, directly over the heat.
Turn vegetables every few minutes until veggies are charred, yet tender. Zucchini, radicchio, and scallions cook fastest, eggplant takes a bit longer. Carrots and peppers will take the longest - up to 15 minutes.
Let veggies cool, then chop coarsely.
Step 3 – Make the Couscous and Combine
Bring 2 Cups water, oil, and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan.
Add the couscous, stir well, remove from heat, and let sit for 5 minutes.
When couscous is done, fluff with a fork.
Combine couscous and veggies in a large mixing bowl, and toss with vinaigrette.
Season with salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lemon juice to taste.
Serve warm, or at room temperature.
Salad can be covered and refrigerated up to three days in advance.