A Word From The Cook
“Halibut Wrapped In Prosciutto and Fresh Basil is the best halibut recipe in town! Fresh basil and salty prosciutto bring a whole new dimension to mild mannered halibut.”
A half pound fish per person/serving
- 6-10 lLrge basil leaves per serving
- 2-4 Thin slices of prosciutto per serving
- Enough olive oil to coat halibut
- Salt, and pepper (or herbed salt) to taste
- Step 1 – Cut Halibut into Individual Serving Sized Pieces
- Cut halibut into individual size pieces that will be served to each guest. 1/2 pound per person is pretty typical.
- Step 2 – Season and Wrap Halibut
- Place fresh halibut on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Coat both sides in olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place fresh basil leaves on top of and underneath halibut to cover top and bottom
- Gently place prosciutto on top of basil, wrapping around to the bottom on the fish.
- Adding a few drops of oil on top of prosciutto to keep it from getting hard while baking, and to help “glue” the meat and basil to the fish.
- Step 3 – Bake Halibut
- Place baking sheet with halibut into pre-heated 350 degree oven.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. Do not over cook. Halibut should be done, but juicy.
- Test for doneness, by pressing your index finger directly into the fish. The flesh of the fish should be firm, but not hard.