A Word From The Cook
“Lemon curd makes adds a sweet and tart taste to light dessert recipes like this Trifle. You can substitute angel food cake or other absorbent cookie for the ladyfingers.”
1 Hour + 30 minutes to chill
- For Trifle
- 1 Package Ladyfingers
- 1 Package blueberries
- 2 Cups blueberry jam
- 2 Cups whipping cream
- 3 Tablespoons Grand Marnier
- ¼ Cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 Lemon + ½ cup sugar + ½ cup water to make candied lemon garnish
- For Lemon Curd
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2/3 Cup fresh lemon juice
- 8 Large egg yolks
- ¼ Teaspoon course sea salt
- 10 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- Step 1 – Prepare the Lemon Curd
- In a medium saucepan, off heat, whisk all ingredients except butter.
- Add butter and place pan over medium-high heat. Cook, whisking continuously, until butter is melted and mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon (approx. 5 minutes) – do not allow to boil.
- Remove pan from heat, whisk for another 30 seconds, then pour curd through a fine sieve, into a glass bowl.
- Press plastic wrap against the surface of curd and refrigerate until cool.
- Step 2 – Make Candied Lemon Garnish
- Slice a lemon into 1/8-1/4 inch rounds.
- Bring ½ cup sugar and ½ cup water to a boil in small saucepan.
- Add lemon slices and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer lemon slices to waxed or parchment paper to cool.
- Add ¼ cup fresh lemon juice to remaining syrup to use in trifle.
- Beat whipping cream and powdered sugar to form stiff peaks.
- Step 3 – Layer the Trifle and Chill!
- Arrange Ladyfingers in a layer across bottom of Trifle dish.
- Brush 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier on Ladyfingers, followed by a coating of the lemon syrup you made in the last step.
- Layer on 1/3 of the Lemon Curd.
- Layer on 1/3 of the freshly rinsed and patted dry blueberries.
- Layer on 1/3 cup blueberry Jam.
- Layer on 1/3 of the freshly whipped cream.
- Repeat layering 2 more times so there are three layers each set of ingredients.
- Garnish with Candied lemons and chill to set for about 30 minutes to an hour.