A Word From The Cook
“These Mexican Brownies have a delicate texture, with a deeply rich taste. Cinnamon, chocolate, and a hint of chipotle are a triple threat!”
45 Minutes (Includes 30 minutes baking time)
Makes 16-20 squares
- 1/2 Cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 Cup cocoa powder
- 1 ¼ Cups packed brown sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 3/4 Cup flour
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon chipotle or cayenne pepper
- 1 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Vanilla bean (Scrape the insides of 1 vanilla bean or substitute with 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
- 1 Cup semi or bitter sweet chocolate chips
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar for dusting
- Bake in a square 8x8 baking pan lined with parchment paper
- Step 1 – Sift Dry Ingredients Together
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line a square 8×8 inch baking pan with parchment paper, and butter the parchment.
- In a medium sized bowl combine flour, salt, soda and spices. Whisk and set aside.
- Step 2 – Melt Butter and Chocolate
- In a small saucepan over low heat melt butter. Remove from heat and add cocoa powder and brown sugar. Mix well with a hand mixer.
- Let cool slightly then add eggs and vanilla. Blend with hand mixer until well incorporated and glossy – about 2 minutes.
- Step 3 – Combine and Bake
- Pour chocolate mixture into dry ingredients and mix until incorporate with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Add rum and chocolate chips.
- Pour mixture into parchment lined backing pan, smooth to create even surface and to spread out to the edges of the pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Brownies are done when a toothpick inserted into middle of brownies comes out with just a bit of crumb on the stick.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes in the pan, on a baking rack.
- Remove the brownies from the pan by holding the edges of parchment and placing brownies on the cooling rack to cool completely.
- Remove parchment, cut brownies into squares, and dust lightly with powdered sugar. (For best results put 2 tablespoons powdered sugar into a sieve and gently shake the sieve over the brownies to create an even dusting).