A Word From The Cook
“The word Mole refers to a concoction. Our Mexican Mole concoction includes 23 ingredients featuring chocolate, chiles, and peanut butter. It’s spicy, smokey and sweet!”
Sauce can be served over chicken, pork, rice or with tamales or enchiladas. Makes 24 half cup servings.
- 1 Quart Water + 1 quart chicken stock
- 5 Dried Ancho Chiles (de-stemmed and seeds discarded)
- 5 Dried Chipotle Chiles (de-stemmed and seeds discarded)
- 4 Fresh Poblanos - aka Pasilla Peppers (de-stemmed and deseeded, retain seeds)
- 4 fresh Anaheim peppers (de-stemmed and seeds discarded)
- 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 Tablespoons blanched almonds
- 2 Teaspoons peppercorns
- 5 Whole cloves
- 1 Teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 White onion
- 6 Cloves garlic
- 6 Roma tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons raisins
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 1 Piece wheat bread
- 1 Tortilla
- 3 Ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 Tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 Cup grapeseed oil
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 2 Teaspoons salt
- Step 1 – Prepare Vegetables, Toast Seeds, and Chiles
- Remove stems and seeds from chiles (retaining seeds from Poblano peppers).
- Roughly chop onion.
- Remove skin from garlic and smash cloves.
- Rinse and cut tomatoes in half. Remove tough stem.
- Toast seeds, sesame, almonds, peppercorns, cloves, and coriander in a small dry pan over medium heat. Remove before they begin to pop. Set aside to cool.
- In same pan, toast dried chiles until browned.
- Step 2 – Boil Liquid and Roast Ingredients
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large saucepan or dutch oven, bring water and chicken stock to boil.
- Roast peppers on a dry baking or jelly roll pan until soft. Once roasted, add to boiling chicken stock.
- Roast onions and garlic next, then add to stock.
- Roast tomatoes, raisins, and cinnamon stick. Then add to stock.
- Step 3 – Combine, Blend, and Simmer
- Add bread and tortilla to stock and blend using an immersion blender.
- Add roasted seeds to stock
- Add chocolate and peanut butter.
- Add grapeseed oil, salt and sugar.
- Continue to blend, bringing sauce to a thick and creamy consistency.
- Simmer for another 30 -40 minutes.
- (Note: if you don’t have an immersion blender, blend in a food processor or upright blender in batches. Cool sauce before transferring to blender or food processor.)