A Word From The Cook
“I love almost any asparagus preparation, but my family (and kids) love this one most of all. It's crunchy, cheesy and delicious!”
- 1 Pound asparagus (Med-Lg)
- 1 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Cup Panko Crumbs
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 Egg whites
- 1 Teaspoon honey
- 1 Teaspoon each Salt and Pepper
- Pinch of cayenne
- Olive oil to coat baking tray
- Step 1 – Sweat the Asparagus
- Poke holes in clean/dry asparagus with a fork, and toss with salt. Let it sit and sweat for about 30 minutes. Dry the asparagus in a paper towel before proceeding to step 3.
- Step 2 – Prepare the Coating
- Combine cheese, Panko, melted butter, salt, pepper, and cayenne in a medium sized mixing bowl. Set aside two-thirds of mixture to dredge asparagus in step 3, the other third will be used at the end of the baking step.
- Whip egg whites and honey to stiff peaks using a hand or stand-up mixer.
- Step 3 – Dredge and Bake
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and coat with olive oil.
- Working in 2-3 batches, coat asparagus in egg mixture, then dredge in two-thirds of cheese and Panko mixture. (Egg mixture acts as a "glue" for bread crumb cheese mixture. Working in batches keeps moisture from asparagus from weighing down the egg whites, and keeps the crumb mixture from getting wet and clumpy.)
- Place coated asparagus spears on baking sheet. Bake for 8 minutes, then sprinkle the rest of the cheese and Panko mixture on top. Bake for another 8-10 minutes until coating is crispy and golden brown.
- Serve immediately!