A Word From The Cook
“Pecan Pie is a favorite at our house. This one is perfectly simple, and richly delicious every time!”
- For Pie Crust (Feel free to use a prepared pie crust if you don't have time to make your own)
- 1 1/4 Cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 2 Teaspoons sugar
- 4 Tablespoons ice-cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 Cup ice-cold vegetable shortening
- 3 Tablespoons sour cream
- 1 Tablespoons ice water
- 9-10 Inch Pie Pan
- Parchment paper and rice, beans or pie weights for blind baking.
- For Pecan Pie Filling
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/3 Cup melted butter
- 3/4 Cup light corn syrup
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Cups pecan halves
- Step 1 – Prepare Pie Dough
- Combine flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor fitted with a metal blade.
- Add butter and shortening. Pulse until mixture resembles large crumbs.
- Add sour cream and water. Process for a few seconds, until a dough ball forms.
- Turn out dough onto a sheet of plastic wrap and form into a disk about an inch thick.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or over night.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Dust surface, rolling pin, and dough with flour as needed to avoid sticking. Turn dough clockwise on rolling surface as you roll out dough to avoid sticking.
- Roll dough around rolling pin and lift it over the pie pan. Unroll dough over the pan, center the dough in the pan and press dough into place.
- Tuck excess dough under itself to form a double thickness around the edges, then crimp edges with a fork, or with fingers to flute the edges.
- Refrigerate crust for 20-30 minutes before blind baking.
- Step 2 – Blind Bake Crust & Cool
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Poke holes in crust with a fork on bottom and around sides to allow it to vent.
- Blind bake by covering pie shell with parchment paper and adding rice, dried beans, or pie weights to keep crust from rising during initial bake.
- Bake crust only partially (5-7 minutes).
- Let crust cool, and reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- Note: Blind baking creates a stronger crust that can hold moist filling.
- Step 3 – Combine Pecan Pie Filling Ingredients and Bake
- Combine and beat all ingredients (except vanilla and pecans) thoroughly with a hand mixer – until mixture turns a light yellow color.
- Fold in pecans and vanilla.
- Pour mixture into the shell (after weights and parchment have been removed).
- Bake pie for 45 to 50 minutes. Check doneness before removing from oven. Knife inserted into pie should come out clean.
- Allow to cool. Serve warm or cold with freshly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.