A Word From The Cook
“This is a sweet and savory appetizer featuring a recipe for caramel sauce. Prosciutto di Parma and mozzarella play beautifully against the caramel covered pepper and fennel salad!”
- For Pepper Fennel Salad
- 1 Red pepper
- 1 Yellow pepper
- 1 Orange pepper
- 1 Red onion
- 1 Fennel bulb cut into strips
- 1 Cup fresh arugula
- 2 Lemons
- 1/8 Cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For Sherry Caramel
- ½ Cup sugar
- ½ Cup water
- 3 Tablespoons Sherry
- ¼ Cup heavy cream
- Juice from lemon
- For "Ham & Cheese"
- 16 Slices Prosciutto di Parma (2 slices per serving)
- 16 Blocks (1.5 inches long by ¼ inch thick) mozzarella, or other soft cheese)
- 5 Tablespoons pesto (optional). Can be homemade or store bought.
- Get our pesto recipe here. You can use arugula or basil. Simply quarter the recipe for this dish.
- Step 1 – Prepare Pepper Fennel Salad
- Cut peppers and fennel julienne style.
- Place all the vegetables in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Toss with juice of one lemon (reserve the other lemon for the caramel), and olive oil.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Step 2 – Prepare Sherry Caramel
- Combine sugar water and the juice of ½ lemon in a small sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil and cook for about 12 to 15 min or until it becomes a brown – over medium heat. (Brush down sides of pan with water to avoid sugar build up).
- Add heavy cream all at once and stir.
- Turn off heat and stir in sherry.
- Step 3 – Wrap and Sear the “Ham and Cheese”
- Lay out the Prosciutto di Parma and smear 1tsp. of pesto on each piece.
- Place cheese on top of pesto and roll up. Cheese should not extend beyond edge of ham. Place each roll on a skewer as shown.
- Sear wraps in sauté pan on one side over medium heat until cheese softens. (If making large quantity, simply place wraps on foil covered jelly roll pan and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 10 minutes on each side.)
- Turn and sear other side. Remove when cheese begins to melt.
- Note: you can also bake the wraps in the oven on a foil covered baking sheet. This is ideal if you’re preparing for a big crowd.
- Plate salad, top with 2 ham and cheese wraps per serving, and drizzle sherry caramel sauce over top.
- Serve immediately or at room temperature.