A Word From The Cook
“A small sugar pie pumpkin or your favorite squash will turn this salad into a Fall taste treat!”
- For Salad:
- 1 Small sugar pie pumpkin or other squash
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ lb. Arugula
- 2-4 Cups wild greens
- ½ Cup Fig Balsamic Vinaigrette (recipe here)
- 4-6 oz. Goat Cheese (try a goat cheese with Anise and Lavender – or other herb you like)
- ¼ cup toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds) or substitute with chopped walnuts or pecans
- Prepare Fig Balsamic Vinaigrette:
- 1 Shallot, finely chopped
- 1 Teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, destemmed
- ¼ Teaspoon black pepper
- ½ Cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ Cup glazed, roasted figs (include sauce) – choose any fig sauce or prepared fig jam or similar
- Step 1 – Prepare and Bake Pumpkin or (Squash)
- Quarter and seed pumpkin (or squash).
- Rub with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast pumpkin on a foil covered baking sheet at 350 degrees – until tender (20-30 minutes).
- Cool and remove skin.
- Cut meat into ½ inch cubes.
- Step 2 – Prepare Vinaigrette
- Combine all vinaigrette ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
- Whisk until combined.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- Step 3 – Toss and Serve!
- Toss pumpkin cubes, greens, and Pepitas in a large bowl.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Add vinaigrette and toss.
- Top salad with crumbled cheese and serve.