A Word From The Cook
“Cooking is always fun to do with friends, especially with this recipe for cabbage rolls stuffed with lamb. They’re a great main dish to accompany a Mediterranean Dinner Party Menu.”
1 hour 20 Minutes
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- 1 Pound Ground Lamb
- 1.5 Teaspoons Allspice
- 2 Teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1.5 Teaspoons Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Pepper
- 1/4 Cup fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 Cup white long grain rice
- 1 Large can tomato puree
- 1 Large can diced tomatoes
- 1 Cup water
- 1 Large cabbage
- 8-10 Garlic cloves
- Step 1 – Steam Cabbage Leaves
- Core cabbage and place it in a a covered steamer.
- Pull leaves away from heart of cabbage as they soften. Place each leaf on a cutting board and cut out the stiff center (as shown above). For large leaves, cut them into 2 pieces.
- Step 2 – Prepare Filling and Roll
- Rinse rice in fresh water and pour into a large bowl, leaving just enough water to coat the rice.
- Add the meat to the rice and add seasonings and mint.
- Place 1-2 tablespoons filling into center of leaf and roll like a cigar, folding edges in as you go.
- Step 3 – Steam and Serve!
- Place a few of the “bones” of the cabbage ends in the bottom of a large pot.
- Place cabbage rolls in the pot gentry layering them into the pan, placing peeled garlic cloves among the rolls.
- Cover with tomato sauce, tomatoes, and water.
- Cook over a low flame for about an hour.
- Serve with our version of Tzatziki Sauce! (Combine 1/2 cup each sour cream and Greek yogurt, 2 tablespoons fresh dill, 1/2 an English cucumber – skin removed and diced, 2 tablespoons capers, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice and the zest of 1 lemon, salt and pepper to taste)
- Find more of our Mediterranean Dinner Party Recipes you can make and share with your friends!