A Word From The Cook
“Oven roasting makes all the difference! Freshly roasted beets are meaty, sweet, and provide a great base for cheese and nuts. Serve as a salad or side dish.”
- 8 Fresh Beets (red and golden can be mixed)
- 1 Cup Crumbled Goat Cheese
- 1 Cup Whole Hazelnuts (toasted with skins removed)
- ¼ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3-4 Teaspoons Sea, Kosher, or Herbed Salt
- 3-4 Teaspoons Dried Herbs (Italian mix, or Herbs de Provence)
- Step 1 – Roast Beets and Hazelnuts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Scrub beets and chop off stalks and rough bottoms.
- Drizzle olive oil over beets and place them in a “foil tent.”
- Bake tented beets on a cookie sheet for up to an hour depending on number and size of beets (8 medium sized beets will take about an hour).
- Beets are done when gentle prick of a fork goes smoothly through to the middle.
- Whole hazelnuts can be toasted in a small baking dish in the same oven for 10 minutes. Just enough time to crack the skins open so you can remove them.
- Step 2 – Remove Skins (if desired)
- When cool enough to handle, remove skins from beets and hazelnuts. (Red beets may stain your hands and cutting surface)
- Slice beets into ¼ inch rounds.
- Keep hazelnuts whole – some skins may remain.
- Step 3 – Season and Serve
- Place sliced beets on individual serving dishes (or large plate for family style serving).
- Sprinkle goat cheese, and toasted whole hazelnuts over beets.
- Drizzle high quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil over beets, cheese and nuts. Sprinkle with salt and dried herbs. (We like herbed salt and Herbs de Provence)
- When using dried herbs over a fresh dish like salad, crush the herbs between your fingers as you sprinkle to release essential oils and aroma.
- You can also place the ingredients on a bed of arugula or butter lettuce if you want to get your greens! Serve beets warm, cold or at room temperature.