A Word From The Cook
- 8-12 chicken thighs, bone in & skin on, trimmed & patted dry
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 8-10 Sprigs fresh thyme
- 5-7 Sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 Tablespoon Herbes de Provence
- 1 Teaspoon each sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 Teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 10 Garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 Lemon quartered
- 1 Cup dry white wine or vermouth
- 1⁄2 Cut oil-cured black olives
- Step 1 – Prepare Chicken in Oven Proof Dish
- Remove chicken from the refrigerator about an hour before cooking so it will warm up a bit and roast evenly.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Use an ovenproof skillet or baking dish large enough to lay out all the chicken in a single layer. Rub olive oil on top of and underneath chicken. Place chicken skin side up and season with fresh and dried herbs, salt, pepper, and crushed pepper flakes. Scatter whole cloves of garlic and lemon wedges in pan.
- Step 2 – Roast Chicken
- Roast until the chicken just begins to brown, about 20 minutes. Pour wine over the chicken and add olives around the pan.
- Return to the oven until the chicken is golden brown, skin is crisp, and meat is cooked through, about 20-25 minutes more. Remove from the oven and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes so the juices can redistribute in the chicken.