A Word From The Cook
“Manchego cheese recipes like this one are simple to make, with mouth popping flavor. Saffron, pasta, Manchego cheese, and chorizo sausage come together to make this Spanish version of Macaroni and cheese for grow-ups.”
- 1.5 Quarts chicken stock
- Pinch Saffron (12-15 threads)
- Pinch Salt
- 1 Pound fideo (thin noodle pasta like Angel Hair)
- 1 Cup minced cilantro or parsley
- 2 Cups shredded Manchego cheese
- 24 slices cooked Chorizo (Linguiça can be substituted)
- Prepare in a Paella pan or large saucepan
- Find all the specialty Spanish ingredients you need, from Chorizo to Paella Pans, at The Spanish Table.
- Step 1 – Sauté Sausage
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Add sliced pre-cooked sausage to pan and cook until sausage browns around the edges and begins to curl up. Stir occasionally while sausage is cooking - about 8-10 minutes.
- Step 2 – Prepare Pasta
- Pour the chicken stock into a 12-inch or larger paella pan (or other large, shallow, oven proof pan. Bring to a boil over the stove. Add saffron, half of parsley, and pasta to the stock. Stir to ensure that pasta is completely submerged.
- Cook pasta until liquid has been absorbed (10-12 minutes for most pastas). Pasta should be al dente (chewy but not crunchy). Make sure pasta doesn't stick to bottom of pan by stirring occasionally.
- Step 3 – Assemble, Broil and Serve
- Top the pasta with cheese and sausage. Place pan under a broiler for a couple of minutes, until cheese melts. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro (or parsley) and serve. This dish makes a great starter, pasta course or main dish.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!