A Word From The Cook
“Savory, sweet & spicy describe this quick prep, succulent seared tuna dish.”
4 Tuna steaks serve 4 people
- 4 Tuna steaks 1/3-1/2 pound each
- 2 Cups jasmine rice
- 4 Cups water
- 2 Teaspoons butter
- 1/4 Cup shredded coconut
- Salt and Pepper to season fish
- Garlic Powder to season fish
- Olive Oil to coat fish
- 4-5 Tablespoons vegetable oil to coat pan
- 1 Cucumber, peeled and cut lengthwise into strips about 1/4 inch in width
- 1/4 Cup chopped cilantro
- 1 Cup Spicy Peanut Sauce (You can buy pre-made sauce at the store or make your own. We like this recipe from Epicurious and have included the ingredients and preparation steps here.)
- Spicy Peanut Sauce Ingredients:
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 Scallions, chopped fine
- 1 Garlic clove, chopped fine
- 1 Tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh gingerroot
- 1 Cup water
- 1/2 Cup creamy or chunky peanut butter
- 1/4 Cup soy sauce
- 1/4 Cup distilled white vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- Step 1 – If Making Spicy Peanut Sauce Follow The Preparation Below (Otherwise Use Your Favorite Prepared Sauce)
- In a saucepan heat oil over moderate heat until hot but not smoking and cook scallions, garlic and ginger, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer, stirring. Simmer sauce, stirring, until smooth and cool to room temperature.
- Sauce may be made up to 3 days ahead and chilled, covered. If sauce is too thick after chilling, stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons hot water until sauce reaches desired consistency.
- Step 2 – Cook Rice
- Cook rice according to rice cooker instructions, or simply bring rice, water, and butter to boil in a medium sauce pan.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 18 minutes (no peeking).
- Optional – add 1/4 cup shredded coconut to cooked rice and fluff with a fork.
- Step 3 – Sear Tuna and Serve
- Prepare tuna by coating generously with olive oil, a pinch each of salt & pepper, and a light sprinkle of garlic powder onto both sides of fish.
- Heat large sauté pan with vegetable oil over medium high heat until nearing smoke point. Sear tuna steaks in pan for about 4 minutes on each side (depending on thickness). Tuna should be pink inside and fully cooked around edges.
- Place 1/2- 3/4 cup rice in center of serving plates, with tuna on top.
- Pour spicy peanut sauce lightly over tuna and garnish with sliced cucumber and cilantro.