A Word From The Cook
“Savory, sweet & spicy describe this quick prep, succulent seared tuna dish.”
4 Tuna steaks serve 4 people
- 4 Tuna steaks 1/3-1/2 pound each
- 2 Cups jasmine rice
- 4 Cups water
- 2 Teaspoons butter
- 1/4 Cup shredded coconut
- Salt and Pepper to season fish
- Garlic Powder to season fish
- Olive Oil to coat fish
- 4-5 Tablespoons vegetable oil to coat pan
- 1 Cucumber, peeled and cut lengthwise into strips about 1/4 inch in width
- 1/4 Cup chopped cilantro
- 1 Cup Spicy Peanut Sauce (You can buy pre-made sauce at the store or make your own. We like this recipe from Epicurious and have included the ingredients and preparation steps here.)
- Spicy Peanut Sauce Ingredients:
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 Scallions, chopped fine
- 1 Garlic clove, chopped fine
- 1 Tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh gingerroot
- 1 Cup water
- 1/2 Cup creamy or chunky peanut butter
- 1/4 Cup soy sauce
- 1/4 Cup distilled white vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
Step 1 – If Making Spicy Peanut Sauce Follow The Preparation Below (Otherwise Use Your Favorite Prepared Sauce)
In a saucepan heat oil over moderate heat until hot but not smoking and cook scallions, garlic and ginger, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer, stirring. Simmer sauce, stirring, until smooth and cool to room temperature.
Sauce may be made up to 3 days ahead and chilled, covered. If sauce is too thick after chilling, stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons hot water until sauce reaches desired consistency.
Step 2 – Cook Rice
Cook rice according to rice cooker instructions, or simply bring rice, water, and butter to boil in a medium sauce pan.
Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 18 minutes (no peeking).
Optional – add 1/4 cup shredded coconut to cooked rice and fluff with a fork.
Step 3 – Sear Tuna and Serve
Prepare tuna by coating generously with olive oil, a pinch each of salt & pepper, and a light sprinkle of garlic powder onto both sides of fish.
Heat large sauté pan with vegetable oil over medium high heat until nearing smoke point. Sear tuna steaks in pan for about 4 minutes on each side (depending on thickness). Tuna should be pink inside and fully cooked around edges.
Place 1/2- 3/4 cup rice in center of serving plates, with tuna on top.
Pour spicy peanut sauce lightly over tuna and garnish with sliced cucumber and cilantro.