A Word From The Cook
“Artichokes are a favorite in our house. They can be served warm or at room temperature, as a side or a shared appetizer.”
4 - 8 People
- 4 Firm Artichokes
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil, pinch of Sea Salt and 2 Bay Leaves
- ½ Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- ¼ Cup melted butter
- Spices and Seasonings to Taste:
- Herbs de Provence or your favorite herb mixture (optional)
- Black Truffle Salt, Sea Salt or your favorite seasoned salt
- Italian Seasoning
- Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1-2 Tablespoons Breadcrumbs
- 2 Fresh lemons (sliced into wedges to drizzle over choke and use for garnish)
- ½ Cup mayonnaise (optional for dipping)
Step 1 – Trim the Chokes and Cut the Stem
Cut the prickly tip of each leaf with scissors and cut the stem close to the bottom of the choke with a sharp knife, so it sits upright without wobbling.
Step 2 – Boil the Chokes
Boil a large pot of water – into the pot add a splash of olive oil, a pinch of sea salt and 2 bay leaves.
Immerse the chokes in the boiling water and boil for approx 45-50 minutes.
Test doneness by pulling a leaf from the stem. It should come off with a gentle tug (taste it to test tenderness).
Drain and Plate the Chokes.
Step 3 – Season and Serve!
Open up the leaves of each artichoke so each leaf is a vessel for melted butter (optional) and seasonings.
Generously sprinkle each seasoning, parmesan and bread crumbs over the leaves.
Squeeze fresh lemon over each choke.
Garnish the serving plate with lemon wedges.
Serve seasoned chokes hot, or at room temperature.