A Word From The Cook
“Artichokes are a favorite in our house. They can be served warm or at room temperature, as a side or a shared appetizer.”
4 - 8 People
- 4 Firm Artichokes
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil, pinch of Sea Salt and 2 Bay Leaves
- ½ Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- ¼ Cup melted butter
- Spices and Seasonings to Taste:
- Herbs de Provence or your favorite herb mixture (optional)
- Black Truffle Salt, Sea Salt or your favorite seasoned salt
- Italian Seasoning
- Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1-2 Tablespoons Breadcrumbs
- 2 Fresh lemons (sliced into wedges to drizzle over choke and use for garnish)
- ½ Cup mayonnaise (optional for dipping)
- Step 1 – Trim the Chokes and Cut the Stem
- Cut the prickly tip of each leaf with scissors and cut the stem close to the bottom of the choke with a sharp knife, so it sits upright without wobbling.
- Step 2 – Boil the Chokes
- Boil a large pot of water – into the pot add a splash of olive oil, a pinch of sea salt and 2 bay leaves.
- Immerse the chokes in the boiling water and boil for approx 45-50 minutes.
- Test doneness by pulling a leaf from the stem. It should come off with a gentle tug (taste it to test tenderness).
- Drain and Plate the Chokes.
- Step 3 – Season and Serve!
- Open up the leaves of each artichoke so each leaf is a vessel for melted butter (optional) and seasonings.
- Generously sprinkle each seasoning, parmesan and bread crumbs over the leaves.
- Squeeze fresh lemon over each choke.
- Garnish the serving plate with lemon wedges.
- Serve seasoned chokes hot, or at room temperature.