A Word From The Cook
“Simple dessert recipes like this one turn sweet and flaky phyllo dough into a Mediterranean Dinner Party delight. This recipe courtesy of Erin Coopey, aka The Glorified Home Chef!”
Serves 8 People
- 14 Ounces dates (about 1 1/2 cups), pitted
- 1/2 Cup walnuts, toasted
- 3 Tbsp plus 1/4 cup honey
- 1 Teaspoon finely grated orange peel
- 1/2 Teaspoon cardamom seeds (from about 10 pods), finely ground in spice mill or in mortar with pestle
- 8 17 1/2x12 1/2-Inch phyllo pastry, thawed
- 1/2 Cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 Cup plain Greek whole-milk yogurt
- Step 1 – Make Filling
- Crush cardamom in mortar and pestal.
- Combine dates, walnuts, 3 tablespoons honey, orange peel, and cardamom in processor. Blend until paste forms.
- Step 2 – Prepare Phyllo
- Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment.
- Stack phyllo sheets on work surface.
- Halve stack crosswise, forming 16 sheets, each 12 1/2×8 3/4 inches; arrange in 1 stack.
- Cover stack with plastic wrap and damp kitchen towel.
- Step 3 – Roll, Bake, and Serve with Honey Yogurt
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Remove 1 phyllo sheet from stack and place on work surface; brush with melted butter. Top with second sheet; brush with butter.
- Starting 1 inch from edge at short end of phyllo, spoon 3 tablespoons date mixture in dollops in row parallel to edge.
- Mold date mixture into log, leaving 1/2-inch border at edges of phyllo.
- Roll up date log in phyllo, enclosing filling and forming roll (filling will be exposed at ends).
- Transfer to baking sheet; brush with butter. Repeat with remaining phyllo, butter, and date mixture.
- Bake until golden, about 25 minutes. Cool on baking sheet.
- Spoon yogurt into small bowl drizzle remaining 1/4 cup honey over yogurt.
- Place cooled phyllo rolls on a serving platter. Serve with honey-yogurt for dipping.
- Find more of our Mediterranean Menu Dinner Party recipes you can make and share with your friends!