A Word From The Cook
“Cool Minty Cucumber Dip tames the spice in these Cajun Shrimp Skewers.”
8-10 Servings (2-3 Shrimp per skewer)
- For Cucumber Dip
- 1 Cucumber, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh mint, finely chopped
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 Teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 Cup plain low-fat yogurt
- ½ Cup sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Zest and juice of 1/2 Lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- For Spicy Shrimp
- 24-30 Raw shrimp
- 3 to 4 Tablespoons canola oil
- 10-15 Medium sized bamboo skewers
- 10 Sprigs fresh thyme, washed, leaves removed and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon freshly chopped oregano leaves
- (You can substitute our Cajun Spice Mix for the spices below to get a spicier and more aromatic flavor.
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 Tablespoon cayenne
- 1 Teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 Lemons sliced for garnish
- Step 1 – Prepare Cucumber Dip
- Mix cucumber dip ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- Step 2 – Coat Shrimp with Spice Mix
- In a small bowl, add the paprika, cayenne, thyme, oregano, and salt and mix to blend. If you are substituting with our Cajun Spice Mix, simply combine 2 tablespoons of the Cajun Spice Mix with the fresh oregano and thyme. Either way, put the spice mixture on a plate or other flat surface.
- Place the shrimp on the skewers and coat the shrimp on both sides.
- Step 3 – Pan Sear Shrimp & Serve
- Heat a large pan or cast iron skillet over medium heat, and add the oil. Place the skewered, spice coated shrimp in a single layer in the hot pan.
- Cook until edges begin to turn pink. Turn the skewers over using tongs.
- Cook the shrimp until just pink all the way through.
- Remove from heat and arrange on a serving plate.
- Sprinkle with lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Serve immediately alongside the cucumber dip. Serve with fresh veggies and crispy crackers if desired.