A Word From The Cook
“Cool Minty Cucumber Dip tames the spice in these Cajun Shrimp Skewers.”
8-10 Servings (2-3 Shrimp per skewer)
- For Cucumber Dip
- 1 Cucumber, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh mint, finely chopped
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 Teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 Cup plain low-fat yogurt
- ½ Cup sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Zest and juice of 1/2 Lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- For Spicy Shrimp
- 24-30 Raw shrimp
- 3 to 4 Tablespoons canola oil
- 10-15 Medium sized bamboo skewers
- 10 Sprigs fresh thyme, washed, leaves removed and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon freshly chopped oregano leaves
- (You can substitute our Cajun Spice Mix for the spices below to get a spicier and more aromatic flavor.
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 Tablespoon cayenne
- 1 Teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 Lemons sliced for garnish
Step 1 – Prepare Cucumber Dip
Mix cucumber dip ingredients together in a medium bowl.
Chill until ready to serve.
Step 2 – Coat Shrimp with Spice Mix
In a small bowl, add the paprika, cayenne, thyme, oregano, and salt and mix to blend. If you are substituting with our Cajun Spice Mix, simply combine 2 tablespoons of the Cajun Spice Mix with the fresh oregano and thyme. Either way, put the spice mixture on a plate or other flat surface.
Place the shrimp on the skewers and coat the shrimp on both sides.
Step 3 – Pan Sear Shrimp & Serve
Heat a large pan or cast iron skillet over medium heat, and add the oil. Place the skewered, spice coated shrimp in a single layer in the hot pan.
Cook until edges begin to turn pink. Turn the skewers over using tongs.
Cook the shrimp until just pink all the way through.
Remove from heat and arrange on a serving plate.
Sprinkle with lemon zest and lemon juice.
Serve immediately alongside the cucumber dip. Serve with fresh veggies and crispy crackers if desired.