A Word From The Cook
“If you love Steak and Potatoes, this is the perfect starter for you. Serve as an appetizer, hors d’oeuvres, or tapa course.”
- 2 Pounds baby potatoes
- 1 Pound New York Strip Steak or if pan searing you can use tenderloins suitable for a stir fry.
- 1/2 Pound Crimini mushrooms
- 1/4 Cup Sour Cream
- 1/4 Cup Prepared Horseradish
- 2 Ounces Gorgonzola Cheese
- 3-5 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher or Herbed Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- Step 1 – Prepare Potatoes
- Scrub potatoes to remove any dirt or grit.
- Slice potatoes in half lengthwise and coat generously with olive oil.
- Season potatoes generously with herbed salt, ground black pepper, and garlic powder.
- Spread seasoned potatoes in a single layer, on a foil covered baking sheet, and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or so, until potatoes can be gently pierced with a fork.
- Step 2 – Sauté Mushrooms and Mix Gorgonzola Cream
- While potatoes are baking, combine ingredients for Gorgonzola Cream and mix with a fork until combined and texture is smooth. Chill until ready to serve.
- Clean mushrooms to remove dirt and grit and slice them into 1/8 inch thick slices (as shown).
- Sauté mushrooms with seasonings (a teaspoon each of herbed salt, garlic powder, and black pepper), in oil and butter over medium heat.
- When mushrooms begin to brown and sizzle, add a splash of wine and let mushrooms cook down and absorb liquid. Turn heat off.
- Step 3 – Grill or Pan Sear Steak and Serve
- Coat steak meat with olive oil and season with garlic powder and pepper.
- Grill seasoned steak until medium rare, or pan sear steak strips in sauté pan over stove.
- Assemble bites by layering a slice of steak over each roasted potato. Top with a mushroom slice and a small dollop of gorgonzola cream.
- Serve and enjoy!